Misc: Ignition Lucas KVF ?arcing problem - Rapide

Meekey675

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
New to the forum, and to Vincent ownership. Essentially, I'm in the process of recommissioning a Series C Rapide, and I must start by saying that I'm new to British bikes, magnetos etc. After initially having trouble with carbs and ignition timing, she now starts on the first kick from cold nearly every time, however I've had some problems starting the bike when she's warm. On a recent ride, there was no ignition spark on arriving home, and after taking the cover off the magneto, I saw that the metal arm (not sure what the name is) had swung off the peg that it locates on. Once placed back in its place, she started straight away (why the arm would come loose, I have no idea). Recently, I've been noticing that there's a lot of blackness left on the peg in the magneto (see picture with white arrow, I've swung the 'arm' out of the way). The photo is after I've managed to scrub some of it off. Only going on short rides, and the peg seems to blacken up again. It makes me think that the problem may be with arcing. In the past, I've worked on bikes with condensers to prevent this, however there seems to be none on the Lucas setup. I was wondering if there's someone here who may be able to forgive my ignorance, and perhaps point me in the right direction as to whether this may be the issue, or whether I'm barking up the wrong tree.

As a side note, the main circuit keeps blowing fuses - I think an unrelated issue (and one that I'm trying to sort), but I thought I'd mention it.
Vincent.jpg

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What material is the white pip you have indicated, it should be an insulator, original ones are something like Bakelite. the arm should be a spring fit on it as well.
The condensor is inside the armature, and not something you can readily change, symptoms of this failing are loss of spark when hot, and by the sound of it you do not have this problem.

Chris.

Meekey675

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
What material is the white pip you have indicated, it should be an insulator, original ones are something like Bakelite. the arm should be a spring fit on it as well.
The condensor is inside the armature, and not something you can readily change, symptoms of this failing are loss of spark when hot, and by the sound of it you do not have this problem.

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I see now, I think the pip is an insulator you’re right. For some reason I thought it was a blob of metal that ought to pass current! The bike is hard to start when hot though - I’ll have another think