Photo of the Day Los Angeles Drag Racing

G

Graham Smith

Informal drag races at an airfield in Los Angeles, California back in the day. Photo courtesy: Steve Doherty.

Saugus1.jpg

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
That photo shows my father and his Shadow. He bought it in the fall of 1954, but from the color of the metal tag on the reg plate, I can tell this photo was taken in 1955. In 1956, the color of the reg plate itself changed to be black numbers on a yellow background, so it was definitely taken pre-1956. The way the reg plates worked in California back then, when a given number sequence ran out (for automobiles), California would change the colors and start new sequences for all vehicles, and the vehicles already on the road, owners had to turn in their old plates and get new plates.

Note the rear wheel does not have the secondary sprocket. My father soon after added a 52 tooth sprocket. Also note the non-standard front mudguard. My father was involved in an accident and hit a car. I am not sure if the rim was damaged/replaced, but I guess a standard replacement mudguard was not readily available at the time.

I still have the struts he made, or had made, to make the seat fully sprung.

It’s a Shadow that was built in late 1952, road tested in December, but it was not shipped until Sept 1953, to Indian Sales Corp, San Francisco. Note that it has the round knob for the rear stand. It also has the long hex nut on the hinge, instead of the small tommy bars.

I did not know of these photos taken that day, until after Herb Ailsleger, a fellow 1950’s LA section member, passed away a few years back. Herb had one of the Red/Black Touring Rapides, and kept it until he died. The bike went to a brother, then was sold soon after. That first owner outside the Ailsleger family was given the photos, along with other photos and documents. That owner joined the VOC, and contacted the club to ask about my father’s name, which was written on the back of the photos from that day. The VOC contacted me and told me someone had photos of my father. I assume the photos were taken by Herb.

@ShepFlyLow recently purchased the Rapide.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Looks like he used some fuel from the disconnected front float bowl to wash out oil that might have found its way into the clutch........looks like he's doing up the C20 nut......... Pipe in mouth to boot..........Great photo.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
When we put my father’s Shadow back together in the early 1980’s (it had been apart since the late 50’s), we didn’t have a C18 of any variety, /1, /2. The clutch worked for a bit, then I was on a section ride going up the coast highway in Malibu, pulling a slight grade, and the clutch slipped a bit. I was able to make it home by managing speed/gear/revs etc. I think Bill Easter suggested simply putting an o-ring in between C20 and C3, plus non-setting Permatex on the splines. That same o-ring lasted until the 2015 Italy International, I had a remarkably dry clutch all those years.

And yeah, my father loved his pipes, being a Navy guy. Luckily he gave them up in the 60’s.

Cyborg

VOC Member
At least back then, there seemed to be differences of opinion on how to launch the bike. Everyone on this side of the pond would just basically wind it up and dump the clutch. When I went to the Brighton Speed Trials in 1969 or maybe it was 70… whatever year it was when the guy with the V8 powered bike had a bad day.… anyway, it seemed like the majority were slipping the clutch off the line. Just a general observation… not referring to Vincents.

Last edited:

royrobertson

VOC Member
Looking at the last photo it looks like a clutch lining has come adrift as the shoe looks very shiny. That will give clutch trouble.
Cheers

ShepFlyLow

Forum User
VOC Member
That photo shows my father and his Shadow. He bought it in the fall of 1954, but from the color of the metal tag on the reg plate, I can tell this photo was taken in 1955. In 1956, the color of the reg plate itself changed to be black numbers on a yellow background, so it was definitely taken pre-1956. The way the reg plates worked in California back then, when a given number sequence ran out (for automobiles), California would change the colors and start new sequences for all vehicles, and the vehicles already on the road, owners had to turn in their old plates and get new plates.

Note the rear wheel does not have the secondary sprocket. My father soon after added a 52 tooth sprocket. Also note the non-standard front mudguard. My father was involved in an accident and hit a car. I am not sure if the rim was damaged/replaced, but I guess a standard replacement mudguard was not readily available at the time.

I still have the struts he made, or had made, to make the seat fully sprung.

It’s a Shadow that was built in late 1952, road tested in December, but it was not shipped until Sept 1953, to Indian Sales Corp, San Francisco. Note that it has the round knob for the rear stand. It also has the long hex nut on the hinge, instead of the small tommy bars.

I did not know of these photos taken that day, until after Herb Ailsleger, a fellow 1950’s LA section member, passed away a few years back. Herb had one of the Red/Black Touring Rapides, and kept it until he died. The bike went to a brother, then was sold soon after. That first owner outside the Ailsleger family was given the photos, along with other photos and documents. That owner joined the VOC, and contacted the club to ask about my father’s name, which was written on the back of the photos from that day. The VOC contacted me and told me someone had photos of my father. I assume the photos were taken by Herb.

@ShepFlyLow recently purchased the Rapide.
Sad to report that some of the photos (including this one) that supposedly were with the Red/Black Rapide were lost in the transaction. It appears the bike passed through at least two hands and went to auction a couple of times before I acquired it. The Rapide also had a non standard front mudguard and some other speed parts (tachometer, black barrels and heads, D-series distributor, no second sprocket and more)—I might surmise the bikes were regularly raced. It is a great photo of your father!