Looking for the owner of this bike seen at the North American International Rally

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't know when George Brown built Nero but the then Long Roadholders only had primitive damping compared to Short Roadholders whereas the Telehydraulics damping was quite sophisticated, plus the AJS brake is considered a better brake than the Manx.
What yokes and sliders will also dictate what wheel you can use, I have a bike with the 7-3/8 Atlas yokes (with the steering lock hole plugged and reshaped) Short Roadholder stanchions and dampers, with Long Roadholder sliders (I hadn't got any good short ones) and a Triumph conical hub with the earlier type brakeplate, this wouldn't fit with the 7" yokes, I found this out after I built them with 7" yokes.

The boss on Atlas, late Dominator and Commando brake sliders are 3/16 wider where the wheel fits to take the drum wheel, (the forks were widened to accept a wider tyre on the Atlas which required a wider mudguard) also the anchor boss is bigger.

You can just get a 100 section tyre in the 7" yokes but I don't think anything bigger.

As an aside I always use two drum side sliders and make a straight through spindle, then shim the hub/brakeplate so there's no pinching, this is a much stronger setup than the standard pinch bolt idea.

I would go for one of the replica Italian double sided brakes if I was building a special again.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I saw Nero about 2 weeks ago and the info board with the bike stated it has forks and front Brake from an AJS Porcupine.......

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I saw Nero about 2 weeks ago and the info board with the bike stated it has forks and front Brake from an AJS Porcupine.......
They would be the same as a 7R I would think, I will find out next week.

I have a friends replica E90 Porcupine crankcase here, (it is a one piece casting), I am sorting the gearchange selector mechanism out for them, it takes a modified 5 speed Quaife cluster and I had a spare and some of the selector parts, I just needed to make the rest.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
These are the measurements of Nero I took at the National Motorcycle Museum
1696425674427.png

Nero Masures.jpg