Looking for a crate to transport a Twin engine

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello! I am looking for a crate to transport a Twin engine. Anybody has already built one and is willing to loan or sell it? Preferably in UK.
Otherwise I was thinking about making one (steel or wood), and suspend the engine from the heads and fix it at the back from the swingarm pivot holes as if it was in the frame.
Thanks!
Eddie

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Use the head brackets, but rest it on the bottom, rather than suspend it. Blocking at the bottom beside the stud holes used in this photo from John Hanson will locate it side to side. Other blocking will trap the engine in the crate. I don't know about small shipments like this, but I have the idea that some countries insist on wood for crates be heat treated or whatever to kill any insects. Plywood may be good enough for restrictions like that, but check

Eng Stand.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Is it a full engine or a crankcase?
I sent flywheels and crankcase separately then only the flywheels need a wooden box and both come under the fed ex 30kilo limit
when ready I have an excuse for a trip

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Use the head brackets, but rest it on the bottom, rather than suspend it. Blocking at the bottom beside the stud holes used in this photo from John Hanson will locate it side to side. Other blocking will trap the engine in the crate. I don't know about small shipments like this, but I have the idea that some countries insist on wood for crates be heat treated or whatever to kill any insects. Plywood may be good enough for restrictions like that, but check

View attachment 61721
Thanks for the tip!
I didnt want to risk to mark the cases, but may be with a few shims/washers is possible to have the stand plate not to touch directly the cases.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
Is it a full engine or a crankcase?
I sent flywheels and crankcase separately then only the flywheels need a wooden box and both come under the fed ex 30kilo limit
when ready I have an excuse for a trip
Full engine, for 1300 miles / 2000 km! I would like to protect it well, and i tought suspended, the crankases will get less shocks from the road bumps.

Cyborg

VOC Member

View attachment 61721

Is that your shop? It’s way too clean. Most of the time mine looks like a bomb went off. I have to shovel it out once a week. Wish I could do something similar with my brain.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Hello! I am looking for a crate to transport a Twin engine. Anybody has already built one and is willing to loan or sell it? Preferably in UK.
Otherwise I was thinking about making one (steel or wood), and suspend the engine from the heads and fix it at the back from the swingarm pivot holes as if it was in the frame.
Thanks!
Eddie
What about wrapping the engine in plastic and then use that expanding spray foam to build a cocoon? Are the cases painted?
Hopefully some customs agent won’t decide to open it with a hatchet.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
What about wrapping the engine in plastic and then use that expanding spray foam to build a cocoon? Are the cases painted?
Hopefully some customs agent won’t decide to open it with a hatchet.
Hello!
not painted. Plain Rapide engine.

Indeed, thats another solution! I was thinking about lying it on a car tyre and wrap it.