lock up of a Rapide

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

Wonderful solution, simple, unobtrusive and "relatively" effective. I thought you'd sent the wrong photo, couldn't see the lock until I opened the drawings and realised what you'd done.

Have to admit, I'd never thought of locking the stand down, but it's now on my list of projects.

H

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Brilliant scheme, brilliantly engineered but it is the unobtrusiveness that bothers me. There is no obvious deterrent. I tried a such an idea on my Morgan. The most vulnerable item was the spare wheel which was attached to a threaded bracket at the back of the car and held on only by a stylish tommy bar through the hub. I drilled a hole through the tommy bar at the threaded end and with the wheel in place there was just enough room to get a hand behind and slip an 'R' clip through the hole in the tommy bar where it projected behind the bracket. Now the tommy bar could not be completely unscrewed without removing the hidden clip. When some 'oik' did eventually try to nick the wheel he left the bracket completely distorted and the tommy bar seriously bent but the wheel was still there. It took many hours of contorted effort with hacksaw and files to get the thing released.

barrys

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes if they want it they will take it somehow!. dont let it out of site or just stop worrying. with my " B " I had guys just casually chat and ask me where I lived! and giving them a "false location" minutes later they are on the mobile probably arranging to figure out how they can break in to steal it! they will try to follow you home as well! a bit obvious but! they are out there so beware! all the best. Barry.

motoholic

Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks !

this is verry useful for me. Of course the lock is missing on my bike, but I think I will prepare it like described .

John Cone

VOC Member
I like a challenge, not many years back we had problems with some youths who thought it highly amusing to break off my cars aerial this they did on 3 friday nights in a row. Having had enough and wanting to teach them a lesson I bought another new aerial but this time made sure I had completly insulated it from the cars body,I then charged up a large capacitor from a strip light and mounted it under the wing connecting it to the aeral. Lo and behold there was a large bang on the Friday night and they never touched it again.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I like a challenge, not many years back we had problems with some youths who thought it highly amusing to break off my cars aerial this they did on 3 friday nights in a row. Having had enough and wanting to teach them a lesson I bought another new aerial but this time made sure I had completly insulated it from the cars body,I then charged up a large capacitor from a strip light and mounted it under the wing connecting it to the aeral. Lo and behold there was a large bang on the Friday night and they never touched it again.

And their Mommy didn't complain to the police?

sidmadrid

VOC Member
"I like a challenge, not many years back we had problems with some youths who thought it highly amusing to break off my cars aerial this they did on 3 friday nights in a row. Having had enough and wanting to teach them a lesson I bought another new aerial but this time made sure I had completly insulated it from the cars body,I then charged up a large capacitor from a strip light and mounted it under the wing connecting it to the aeral. Lo and behold there was a large bang on the Friday night and they never touched it again"

I find this very interesting and usefull John,
How did you charge up the capacitor?
sid