lock up of a Rapide

motoholic

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,
I would like to introducce myself as a new member of the VOC. I got my Rapide recently and I'm now - after sufficient experiences with other british bikes - approching to the matter "Vincent" step by step.

My ( first ) question is :

are there any recommendations/tricks to lock up a Rapide easily when leaving it alone for a short time ?
Carrying a heavy cain-lock bothers me and an aditional ignition lock will only connect the magnet to earth and is worthless if someone rips the wire off.
I thing about somthing like blocking the gear lever.

Any ideas ???

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Theft Proofing

Hi,
I would like to introducce myself as a new member of the VOC. I got my Rapide recently and I'm now - after sufficient experiences with other british bikes - approching to the matter "Vincent" step by step.

My ( first ) question is :

are there any recommendations/tricks to lock up a Rapide easily when leaving it alone for a short time ?
Carrying a heavy cain-lock bothers me and an aditional ignition lock will only connect the magnet to earth and is worthless if someone rips the wire off.
I thing about somthing like blocking the gear lever.

Any ideas ???
It all depends!
I have heard of a truck with hydraulic crane/jib used to lift a bike out of a yard over an 8ft fence!
So!
1. A small padlock through a link of your final drive chain.
2. Remove HT lead from coil/magneto
3. Drill hole through throttle & handlebar, insert padlock. Seriously!
Nothing will stop some bastard stealing a petrol or oil cap. Or even gearbox filler cap!!!
In 1999 I left a Black Shadow outfit parked on the promenade in Douglas with a key in the ignition for 5 days! Sometimes you just have to be lucky..
In 2006 I left a Series A Comet outside my bedroom window at a rally & some low life stole the petrol cap!
You can play with all sorts of alarms, ignition & fuel cut outs but if they really want it they will shoot you & take it. Insure it for as much as you can afford & stop worrying.

John Cone

VOC Member
This subject comes up a lot in coversations I have at work. I use my B/Prince almost everyday for work or nipping into town shopping. People are always saying are you not worried about it being nicked the answer is no. If left in town I put a padlock through the centre stand only so it doesn't get shunted off the stand and fall over. If someone wants to nick it they will and the attitude I have is thats what i pay insurance for.

Howard

VOC Member
I've come to the conclusion that Vincent theives will not ride them away, so if they want it they'll get it, even if they have to follow you home and pinch it from the garage.
Last night at the section meet, when we came to leave, Richard's Rap had a wheel lock, and my Egli had the ignition key in................ Who'd pinch an Egli when they can have a "real" Vin - that's my security tip, park next to something more desireable!!!!!!!!

H

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Buy a Pit Bull and teach it to ride and sit in a basket on the back of your Rapide. Worked a treat for John Miller in Los Angles in the 60-70's. Of course "Red Dog" was only a Chow and he didn't need a basket.
Cheers, John:cool: