Liner/Muff interference fit

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When fitting cast iron liners with to much interf. fit, in alu muff, and then, when on temp the whole will become conical so fit with a less interf. fit as possible, and have the alu muff heated and cooled down several times (with time inbetween!!!, process called: aging) before machining all planes and bores, as alumiumum will bend and move and whatever, as you heat and cool it, sometimes it realy is like dryed snot.
the best will be a one piece item, with nicasil I guess.

regards

Vincent

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincent has some great points. One point to note, it is probably the muff that is the weak link. New muffs are a better quality I would hope and the stock series D die cast muffs should not be used as they stretch out of shape endlessly. I think that it is worth asking if by fitting an oversize liner to a stock muff whether you are fighting a symptom and not the disease, which may be the muff.

I am not certain it matters, but I believe that most of the liners are ductile iron and not centrifugally cast iron. I know that LA Sleeve likes the higher hardness and tensile strength of the ductile iron for use in alloy muffs.

David