Lightened Clutch shoe carrier

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I never liked those Half holes in the drum on the edge, If they break after 64 years will I get my money back !! I always thought the time it would break is when you pull away, 700lb and a big hand full of throttle ? Cheers Bill.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
There have been 19 private emails asking me to not leave the forum, I will just post on the forum where there are more then one needing advice on technical. If it is technical specific to a individual I will reply off list.

The standard clutch, modified to lightning specs has transmitted 100 hp many times on many race bikes. It has proven itself to work, if it isn't working for you, don't give up on it, it can be made to do the job.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, quite agree, both my Rapides have standard clutches, long ago, the solo was road raced, hill climbed, and sprinted.
The clutch was never a problem.
Sorry you are leaving the forum. John.

GBewley

VOC Member
Oh, I hope you didn't get the idea that I was off the clutch...they are the ones I run and the ones I recommend my customers run. It was just that I hadn't lightened one in a while and it seemed to me (and was confirmed from looking at other shoes) that ES's figures may not be quite in agreement with my thoughts and indeed those of the factory. This could be a typo for all I know.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Thanks John 998, 2 more privets since last post , makes 22. Bill T. , Phil I. removed the half moons where there is no reduction in the drum strength. The weight was not removed to lower the weight of the bike, but to lower the static weight of a accelerating mass. The weight removal is at the most effective point of a round mass,( the outer diameter). One other consideration is the expansion distortion of the clutch drum friction surface. The mass area is the greatest at the transition area where the clutch drum backing plate is connected to the drum outer donut.
This is where mass expands in proportion , this causes the inner portion of the clutch friction surface to have a greater diameter (when subjected to heat) then the outer diameter of the friction surface . The half moons mass removal helps to prevent distortion of the clutch drum friction surface.This is one reason a clutch is more prone to slipping when hot, this is just one reason not all.

sp ?