Lansdowne Classic Championship - Mallory Park

Lansdowne Classic Championship - Mallory Park
Posted by Graham Smith
Mallory Park Racing Circuit (Real Motorsport Ltd), Church Rd, Kirkby Mallory LE9 7QE
Saturday, May 21, 2022 - 09:00 AM
Until: Sunday, May 22, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That dice was a real cliff hanger Ben had fried his clutch on the hairpin in the first race and so elected to go around the outside with what we called dob dob dob it allows someone to pass on the hairpin on the inside (this happens anyway as there is no way that the standard 7" Vincent brake will slow the lump like a manx front end will) but as there is no bus stop it makes for a real fast sweep into devils elbow then when the vinny gathers its skirts it blasts round corrams ( roadholding as steady as a Manx -so much for feather beds) and then observably faster than anything else down the back straight:). Roll on Donnington there are no hairpins we will slip on our smallest sprocket and best of all open 2" pipeso_O

ben kingham

VOC Member
210522 CMMC MP R4-64.jpg

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi Tim, I think you meant Gerrards. Corams is at Snetterton. Gerrards is a fabulous corner on a Vincent as they seem to grip so much better than the opposition. I used to take it in top gear and just wind it on on the exit and down the long straight. Note pre chicane days. The wide line at the hairpin used to be know as the "Cooper" line as John did many overtaking manoeuvres using it. As Ben found out it gives you better speed into the Elbow.
Again Well Done Ben

vibrac

VOC Member
Woops!

Roy yes Gerrards not Coram. Ben said its a lot bumpier now it used to be, the only place on the circuit with an Egli you could relax just a bit. It was so nice to see the track without the chicanes, if they can do it for a car club why can't they do it for a classic bike meeting?

After all, they were only put in to slow the crutch rockets after the classic era.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
That last picture of the holding area needs a caption, 'getting hot!'
I am afraid the car boy dont have a clue about classic bikes, they think we are like cars just sit there and if it gets too hot stop the engine and press the starter when its cold again!
They called the bikes at the start of a twenty lap car race! we waited till the last lap flag then went to the holding area ... and they then had a trophy ceremony on the start line!! meanwhile the bikes melted.

hrdsuper90

VOC Member
Very Well Done Ben. Was that very quick Velocette Norton there ridden by Mike Russell? He was so quick at Brands.
Roy,
Richard Adams was there but I think he said Mike wasn’t available to ride his bike.
Some of the best period racing I’ve seen in years but both F3 cars & Lansdowne were halted due to noise.
That Rudge shown in assembly area was mighty too, like Ben, loosing nothing to Manxes/G50s through the Esses.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi. The quick Rudge you mentioned is I think is Mike Farrells and is I think on alcohol. Around Mallory without the chicanes it is very competitive and he is a super rider. He has given me "a hard time" on at least one occasion.
Being kept waiting by "the car guys" was a regular thing at the Brighton Speed trials. I think 25 mins was the longest. Why they used to call us so early was never explained, Eventually we used to take my starter all the way down to the start and push the bike. We were also able to start other competitors. Note the bikes were always the furthest away from the start in the paddock.