E: Engine Lame duck Comet

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The description is the same as how my C Comet goes. About half throttle, then nothing more.
Same main jet 200, same riders weight.
Differencies is that I'm 5" taller and have a 928 Concentric. Campbell silencer and 7.3 compression.
No idea what cam in it. No mention of air filter, I have a KN-filter.
If you solve the problem, I'd be happy to make same mods.
Get rid of that Campbell's silencer!!

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Get rid of that Campbell's silencer!!
I think exhaust pipe is a bit short for good power when just removing the silencer. Might be a bit noisy too. Don't shure I nowadays can speed away from the cops as I used to do. Not on a Comet anyhow. So what silencer do you recommend?

vibrac

VOC Member
Of course the club and the spares company did jointly redevelop the original spiral baffel it's a very good design but expensive to make
But then if you want the best....

greg brillus

VOC Member
Check the fuel flow from the fuel taps, some of them are quite poor, and the sediment in the tank can slowly block the fine filters if it has them.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Took out the Comet for a test run. Only difference from last year was that I changed the KN filter to a VOCspares foam filter. To my big surprise + 10MPH cruise speed. Did not dare to push it to more than 80MPH (speed limit 43MPH). Still last 2cm. throttle as Dieter's bike. As jet box don't contain smaller than 260, I have not tested bigger main jet.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Dieter is just waiting for the crank oil seal conversion kit, so his next trial will be in the middle of the week.
He told me he will attend the TT on his Comet anyway to give it some more running in of the new piston.
He checked the gearing which is 18/48 as final drive. He told me that he changes into 4th at about 50 mph.
He has already changed his carb for the shadow one.
I got him an Armours straight through as my Comet never liked the spiral type. The noise is fantastic well at least we think so, certainly not his neighbors.
Until now he only used one fuel tap, so he will try with both taps open next time.
Talking about the Atd, he just fitted new springs supplied from the VOCSC, that was a good hint, maybe we should try a run with the old springs.

We simply ran out of ideas, that's why I am asking you folks,
OH, also there is no problem with the lower guide, we checked that as well as the valves which are sealing perfectly, also the valve seats were replaced and the valves are not pocketed into the seats.
As I said, we just don't understand where the problem lies.
I think I need another cuppa
If you have more ideas please don't hesitate

Cheers Bernd

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
These Bikes are Strange, I would check the valve timing again, Just a quick test, T.D.C. With both valves rocking, They should be open the same amount, I know we talk about 4 degrees, But this is good enough.
Not sure I would be looking for top speed with a new piston !!.
4,000 rev's is 64 mph,
I once got 99.8 mph, Out of my Blue Road Comet, At the end of a Flying 1/4 mile, On an Airfield, Slight tail wind !!, Not sure I would chance that again. Cheers Bill.