Photo of the Day Ken Phelps on the Pacific Cannonball Run

G

Graham Smith

Cool as a cucumber, Ken Phelps, is about to head off from the West Coast of Australia to the East on his 1948 H.R.D. Rapide. The route will take competitors over a distance of some 5,000 kilometres, in the Indian Pacific Cannonball Run. Photo courtesy: Daniel Steel.

311837329_10159596350693515_6505531881086490458_n.jpg

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yup, and he's a constant rider as well, proving that the main reason a lot of Vincents never get properly sorted is that you need to ride them and fix things as they happen. That way, things improve. One thing with Phelpsy's machines is the neglect of front mudguards, I hope he doesn't hit the current Eastern state floods. The mudguard he has is vestigial, bordering on nugatory.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Paul Folkes (Commander Paul Folkes) He was T Boned by a woman turning into Her Drive way on Albatross Rd Nowra NSW
Actually Captain Paul...... He nearly lost his leg and the bike was a wreck. I have photos and I am still amazed the UFM survived.

Chris.R

VOC Member
Ken sorted the HRD for the run he was so up about it he had the cylinders off the heads off opend the cases to take a butchers inside and fitted new tyres plus new oil filtres and grease that is what he told me he was so well prepared then a bloody roo leapt at him.

Does anyone know how to contact his son Ryan I am guessing he will be on social media as he works on service and repair of Ducati machines. I cannot get into facebook and do not do usual social media and need to find the lad.

Chris

Chris.R

VOC Member
Yup, and he's a constant rider as well, proving that the main reason a lot of Vincents never get properly sorted is that you need to ride them and fix things as they happen. That way, things improve. One thing with Phelpsy's machines is the neglect of front mudguards, I hope he doesn't hit the current Eastern state floods. The mudguard he has is vestigial, bordering on nugatory.
That high mileage 254,000 plus Norvin of his took him 25 years to get right at this moment it is up in a Gippsland museum on display withthat racer of his. I was told this before he went west to join the run last heard from Ken on the 19th when he had done 1500 miles.
Chris

Attachments

• Ken Arrives at Stanley Road_090818_DSC0333.JPG
    Ken Arrives at Stanley Road_090818_DSC0333.JPG
    417.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Ken Phelps_DSC0391.JPG
    Ken Phelps_DSC0391.JPG
    376.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Norvin Carbs_ Ken P_DSC0349.JPG
    Norvin Carbs_ Ken P_DSC0349.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Norvin Right side_ Ken P_DSC0344.JPG