It’s Not Really a Vincent

Gordon Ryley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Back in the late 1950 s I bought really nice HRD Rapide when my pals came to view the bike
they told me that it was not a Vincent I tried to explain to no avail,true Tank HRD timing cover
HRD crankcase HRD the bike was registered March 1949 I had a HRD Python for many years
in the mid 1950 s painted grey ? but I wanted a Vincent, after a couple of years of excellent service.

I was told by a pal that he had a shift partner who wanted to sell a non runner Vincent twin, I arranged to buy & collect this bike pushed it home in the dark then noticed Vincent on the tank timing cover crankcase ? registered May 1949 yes the engine was black never got the Log book it was not important in those days I never met the owner it was a Rapide.So fast fwd 60yrs everyone wants a HRD registered bike these days what fickle lot we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont think we are fickle its just that the moneyed ignorant rule the market, one only has to see the difference between Brough Superiors and any other contemporary vee twin (including some with identical motors)
However looking at history and say art, was it not always so?

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Like this?
20220413_161616.jpg

erik

VOC Member
Me too! It was with the bitsa which I bought from the daughter of Kurt Schupp! Erik

Attachments

• IMG_6023.JPG
    IMG_6023.JPG
    414.3 KB · Views: 19