Issues with multi plate clutches

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Steve and Howard, This was the point i was trying to get across....simply that the multi plate design is fine and works very well, but when fitted to a Vincent twin, there are other things to consider that may at first not seem to be worthy of consideration. And not the normal things like travel and so on. I think if the outer basket/ chainwheel could be made to rotate with minimal wobble, then the clutch would perform much better. As for the lever ratio's, well thats an issue in itself....the G 91 lever is the biggest problem, as it is too long. If it were possable to shorten it, then the clutch would have more lift, but be much heavier as well.......Oh well, thats life in the fast lane...........Cheers and beers......Greg.

Howard

VOC Member
There are gadgets you can put in the cable (you have to use 2 cables) - they have a pivoting lever in a box, and the cables attach at different distances from the pivot. I think they're actually intended to reduce the pull required, we'd have to use them to increase the travel, which would increase the pull ......................... but I'm not convinced we can actually get more movement in the kickstart cover.

H

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi again Howard, Funny you mensioning about the cable box thingymajigger......A friend of mine showed up with a new one the other day, i had actually never seen one before this. I think you are correct about the limited travel available within the kickstart cover....Had one on a "B"Shadow once that when you held the clutch in, you could not downshift as the lever on the G 66a/s would hit the G91....!! So had to adjust cable to allow the G 91 to be further away and not fowl the G 66 a/s............Now how can i get that hydraulic slave cylinder in there....??? GB.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
002.jpgHello Greg, Does this give you an idea, It came from Africa in 1965, Maybe out of a Car, You would have to go Electric Start or special Kick Start, Just a bit of fun, Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
.Now how can i get that hydraulic slave cylinder in there....??? GB.[/QUOTE]

When you work that out, tell me how to fit one on my Laverda 2LS front brake, I'm sure it would be worthwhile, but I never get past the thinking about it stage.

I've put a spacer under G94, it gives longer inner cable inside the kickstart cover but I'm not sure the lever system actually makes use of it.

H

ps JUst when you think you've seen everything, Bill comes along with an African hydraulic clutch!!

Last edited:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I also placed a spacer under G94 to lengthen the available cable in the cover. As I made my multi plate from a Triumph clutch I noticed that the Triumph clutch adjuster in the middle of the pressure plate seemed a bit short as I was having much luck gaining lift, so I swapped it out for a slightly longer hardened bolt. This moves the push rod towards the right side of the machine. The pushrod contacts the G91 above where it pivots on the G93 in the cover G1 so if you adjust the G93 to the left the angle of G91 becomes more acute and afords a little extra lift as well.
As you say Greg the G91 is a bit of the problem and I've read of folks taking the trouble to modify it is different ways to achieve greater lift, I just didn't fancy doing it if I didn't have too.
As for the device Howard mentions they've been around for years, mostly for dirt bikes, I considered one for a bit but couldn't think of where I could put is easily or unobtusively. As for hydraulic lift I considered using the one LP Williams sells for Meriden Triumphs but again space issues with in the G1.
As for Bill Thomas' post you could use the sidecar kick start arrangement with that I'm pretty sure.:rolleyes:
Steven

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Nice one Bill Thomas, the hydraulic cylinder pictured is fron an xk150 jaguar, if you want one, best sit behind your rocking horse with a bucket, regards, roy.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Roy, I used to work on Jags, I thought i had seen it somewhere ! I think it would be better to use a kit off a Ducati, Which would give you the master cylinder as well, That old cylinder has been under my bench since 1965, Don't think it will come apart now !! I must build a bike with it now !!

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I don't know how much room there is under the cover but I made a hydraulic clutch for by old ducati darmah from 1/2 a small brembo caliper,(they were originally fitted to 250 benelli's but are now quite common as they are used on small italian bikes on the rear) anyway it was only about 30mm deep and worked well with a kawasaki master cylinder
Chris.

davidd

VOC Member
When I last went to Bonneville I stopped at Colorado Norton Works and they had this hydraulic clutch for the Norton transmission. A very tidy unit:

David