Interresting barn find (2)

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This is being sent as a New Thread because the Forum will still not allow me to make normal replies.
And yes, I do know how to spell "interesting".

"I see from the hideous red long HT leads they've been trying to get a spark with a view to starting it! That'll add a few more thousands of dollars to the restoration bill then!!!"
Yes, but there are no carburettors shown, so starting would have been difficult.

"No rear lugs. Was this always done by owners or also at the works? "
The old Danish Dealer photo shows that 'rear lugs' were on the RFM supporting the seat, when new. That is, assuming that photo is of the same bike.

"I am more interested in the old photo that seems to show a Lightning (looks like steel rims)."
Yes, it does look a 'genuine' Lightning, with Elektron front brake plates etc. Steel wheel rims suggest that the bike was ordered for sidecar use, and the front studded tyre suggests for use on dirt.
Dunlop used to supply high tensile steel wheel rims which were lighter than standard steel rims and stronger than aluminium alloy,so these may have been specified by the first purchaser.
Exhaust pipes are interesting - seem to step up the diameter just after leaving the heads. And ground clearance on right handers on a solo would be limited.
Maybe Vincent owners in Scandinavia could add some history of this bike?

The present "BL" looks a mess.
For example, footrest plates are not BL.

But it would be an interesting restoration project.
Firstly, should it be 'restored' to the state it left the works?
Or at some other stage in its decline?

Whatever route is chosen, deep pockets will be needed.
Unless it will just be a static museum exhibit, in which case the Vincent Works Show Model example could be followed - don't bother about those pesky engine internals!

davidd

VOC Member
I do not think that the ad is representing the bike as a Lightning or that it is the Lightning in the photo with Sv. Ibsen. I have seen another copy of the photo without the writing at the top of the photo, so I think that writing was added to "boost" some provenance along the way and not necessarily this ad. I do not think that the photo shows the bike being set up for the first time by the dealer. It is likely that it was taken after some mods had been done, like the rims and handle bars as they are not mentioned in Marshall's notes (which is a good indicator but not dispositive.)

Does anyone know who Sv. Ibsen is? That would be a find.

I think that it is interesting that a photo can be used in an ad and create a context that can be taken as provenance when there is only a random connection.

David

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
DD
"I do not think that the ad is representing the bike as a Lightning "

Ah yes, now I understand the advert "spelling mistake" Lightnig instead of Lightning.

They can later state they never claimed it was a 'Lightning', merely a 'Lightnig Tribute'.

"1951 Vincent Black Lightnig Tribute" indeed!

Also clever to use the same sort of front tyre pattern as in the "1950" photo.

Buyer beware.

davidd

VOC Member
I have seen bikes like this, with Harley rear tires, that were laced up to go drag racing. They usually have lots of chrome bits on them, but they are usually poorly assembled baskets that never been run. If I remember, it is not even represented that the engine is a Shadow, so it may be all Rapide. That is the beauty of calling it a "tribute."

David

ET43

Non-VOC Member
It is interesting that the machine shown in the Barber auction has a pair of friction stays fitted, whereas in the previous set of pictures there was only one friction stay lug on one side of the machine! Barge pole comes to mind. ET43

Bracker1

VOC Member
I would expect a 20,000 + budget to get in order. The engine will be trash if it was used for drag racing. What a pile of junk. It would be a good buy for 10-15,000USD. Most likely customers will bid to the 40's. Hope it sells to a good machinist. Cheers, Dan