Ignitions

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Pazon Igntion

A small query-the illustrations show the HT leads fitted with NGK suppressed plug caps (red ones). Is this felt to be necessary?

Magnetoman

VOC Member
A small query-the illustrations show the HT leads fitted with NGK suppressed plug caps (red ones). Is this felt to be necessary?
I think Lucas recommended suppressed caps back in the 1950s to keep from annoying the general population. Although most modern car radios are fitted with adequate rf interference filtering, you will make some people think they have a buzz saw in their dashboard if you are riding near them without a suppressed plug cap. That said, I recommend stranded metal plug wire withouta suppressed cap.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
My "fix " seemed to help but it might have plugs or fuel mixture , brand , so long ago . However I readily accept real science and close observation . Thanks for the correction . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid again . I might add here that fresh plugs benefit from having sharp surfaces for the spark to jump from not eroded rounded ones . Spark energy needs far less to jump from an edge leaving more potential left to burn away deposits . Fine wire center electrodes offer this feature as found in the excellent NGK IRIDIUM range . Noticeably easier starting and strong performance .
The general run of plugs are improved it one uses a fine flat file to restore the original new flat surfaces to both center and earth electrodes , so restoring their sharp edges .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
More . My favorite old plug caps were US made Sparkies , soft rubber with a simple spring wire inner connector . Their grip on the porcelain and plug cable was so firm that you could turn a hose on them while running with no effect . Never flew off , simply the best , and cheapest . Beat out all British caps and all others . Sid .