Misc: Ignition Ignition wire from battery

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
Just trying to figure out what purpose the blue cable and double join has here.
It's the lead from battery negative (C Rapide). Thick cable goes to the starter relay and the other two go to the ignition via a 25a fuse.

Maybe just needs simplifying with a single cable for the fuse holder.
Any ideas appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240120_121905.jpg
    20240120_121905.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 42

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Maybe one of those wires used to run something unfused (horn?) and has now been plugged into the black junction block. I would get rid of the blue wire.
I prefer two fuses. One for 'essentials' and one for 'things liable to blow a fuse'. Hence a shorting horn doesn't kill the engine and put the lights out at an inopportune moment.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Maybe one of those wires used to run something unfused (horn?) and has now been plugged into the black junction block. I would get rid of the blue wire.
I prefer two fuses. One for 'essentials' and one for 'things liable to blow a fuse'. Hence a shorting horn doesn't kill the engine and put the lights out at an inopportune moment.
Thanks.
Not sure what it's for. I've taken the horn off and taped up the wires. Will probably need to fit a smaller aftermarket one as the D type stand makes it difficult to mount.
Good idea about a second fuse. Would prefer a more discreet holder though. There's lots of wires and connections that I need to tidy up.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
With a non magneto bike I have three fuses, one for ignition, one for horn and brake light and one for the other lights. For a magneto bike either none (no battery) one or two, depending on the actual system.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies.
On the subject of tidying wiring, just wondering if many owners have an Alton and Podtronics regulator fitted.

If so, did you cut the dynamo to regulator leads down from the supplied length and what connections did you use? I use basic barrel type as these can be covered with plastic sleeving.

It's quite untidy behind the rear cylinder on my Rapide C as shown in the pic.
I notice that there's three cables out of the Podtronics which adds to it.

Attachments

• 20240121_141639.jpg
    20240121_141639.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited: