Ignition Coil

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi , Can anyone tell the source of a 6 volt coil which will fit under the engine cowl. I know that a Bosch coil is recommended but can't find a source.

Thanks Mac

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Maybe I wasn't clear in what I asked. I want to fit a coil under the series C cowl that my series D came with. So it's a question of finding a coil the correct size. I have a lucas coil but it's much too big. Any suggestions?
Mac

vince998

VOC Member
Maybe I wasn't clear in what I asked. I want to fit a coil under the series C cowl that my series D came with. So it's a question of finding a coil the correct size. I have a lucas coil but it's much too big. Any suggestions?
Mac

Hi Macvette.
There is plenty of room under the tank on a D to fit a coil.
I have 2 double coils in the place that the horn took, and there is still plenty of room for a small modern 12volt horn in there as well.
Just a thought before you start making up bracketry and finding a way to mount coils under the C cowl. You´ll soon get fed up of having to remove it to set timing/change oil filter etc.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Mac, I have had trouble with the small Lucas, Some times Big is best, Years ago I fitted two big ones under my seat, They worked OK, Good Luck,Bill.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into a position where the D horn goes, never thought of that. I'm in the final stages of the rebuild and the tank isn't on yet so no sweat. Just got the electrics commissioned (except ignition). The bike did have it's coil on the battery carrier when I got it but I,m not keen on such a long HT lead.

Mac

vince998

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into a position where the D horn goes, never thought of that. I'm in the final stages of the rebuild and the tank isn't on yet so no sweat. Just got the electrics commissioned (except ignition). The bike did have it's coil on the battery carrier when I got it but I,m not keen on such a long HT lead.

Mac

So why consider fitting under the cowl?
The lead to the rear head will be really long!!

As i mentioned earlier, i have 2 double Dyna coils mounted side by side where the horn used to go. these are mounted on a plate shaped to follow the lines of the bottom head lug bracket and fixed in the two holes where the horn used to be. The horn is a miniture 12 volt with the tab bent and also attached using one of the original holes.
The tank fits over lovely and the HT leads are short.
Alternatively, you can also fit them to the upper tube above the heads, and leave the original horn where it is.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi ,
I don't know what you ignition set up is but I'm using the original ditributor so if I do mount the coil under the cowl, the HT lead to the dissy will be short and the ht leads to the plugs will be standard. Mac

timetraveller

VOC Member
This really continues an earlier thread but it does concern coils, twin plugs etc. John Renwick brought one of his sprint sidecar outfits to the Hever rally and I noticed that he had twin ended coils fitted in such a way that each coil fed both plugs in one cylinder. This means that these particular coils must be able to fire two plugs under high pressure at the same time. I think that these were dyna coils but it would be wise to confirm this. Whatever the make, it does confirm that there are coils out there which can fire two plugs at the same time and as John is probably using more revs than most of us, albeit for much less time, they would probably be suitable for twin plug head touring bikes.