If you need to have a laugh

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A bit sad for the enthusiast but the reality is we now own great "investment potential".
I only own a superb Comet and a Comet engined project in big lumps. When 'my time came' to buy a twin, prices already were ridiculous. OK, I have set my priorities wrong, had a lot of fun racing a Comet, but the ownership of a twin is further away then I could ever imagine... At the other hand, it is just a luxury problem, as long as I can visit rallies and events together with the wife, what could I want more?

vibrac

VOC Member
I only own a superb Comet and a Comet engined project in big lumps. When 'my time came' to buy a twin, prices already were ridiculous. OK, I have set my priorities wrong, had a lot of fun racing a Comet, but the ownership of a twin is further away then I could ever imagine...QUOTE]

Start costing for the twin engine parts you dont have, with a comet project already you could be within 10-15K of a twin and e-bay is the last place to get a true idea of second hand parts

nobby

VOC Member
Start costing for the twin engine parts you dont have, with a comet project already you could be within 10-15K of a twin and e-bay is the last place to get a true idea of second hand parts

Well, if you know someone who is willing to sell a twin engine or even better a chopped twin engine with exchange of a complete and running Comet engine, I would love to get in contact...

vibrac

VOC Member
even better a chopped twin engine QUOTE]
even better! "get thee behind me satan":eek:

Forget other peoples cast offs we are much luckier than the last 40 years because now
new twin crankcases are freely available so thats 3K of your budget (after fetteling) and get them stamped by the club
you have the barrels heads pistons one of the camshafts timing gear next question, how much of a Comet flywheel is used on a twin? ....

nobby

VOC Member
even better a chopped twin engine QUOTE]
even better! "get thee behind me satan":eek:..
I would never chop an engine myself but I do know how to make a lovely roadworthy machine from an already chopped one.
There are several abused and chopped engines unused in sheds and workshops, why not revive them?
Oh, and «even better» are other words for cheaper.

Black Flash

VOC Member
talking about prices, I saw two twins a shadow and a rapide for sale at the Essen Motorclassic this year.
The booth they were for sale sold all sorts of stuff, from old wooden propellers to dining tables.the two bikes stood on shelves with the driveside against the wall, so I could not make a note of the numbers.
they both looked flashy, all nuts and bolts bright chrome plated and somewhat overpolished and were supposed to be runnning, but no proof of an engine rebuild, just cosmetically nice. the price for the Rap was 70.000 and the shadow 80.000 Euros.
i saw two well know men ( TV chefs) looking for the bikes, but they were not sold in the end.
seems they are now sold as a piece of art to be displayed in a lounge or the entry of a manor house.
None of the two guys wanted them to ride them......strange world.

grahamsharrock

Non-VOC Member
Having decided that the only way I could afford to own a Vincent was to build one over a few years(more than I anticipated), I have been slowing buy parts as I can. As I have had a new set of cases for a couple of years now, who do I contact about getting an engine number for these?

Graham

Albervin

VOC Member
I don't know the "real" answer but I figure it is a number that cannot be confused with a factory issued one. Graeme Jameson from NZ cast his home made case with a "Made in New Zealand" logo plus a refreshingly
unambiguous number so why not something like F10/AUS/1/ 007?