I need a vincent

AlecRogers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
the reason for not joining is that i have not really got constant address because i work on a boat. in the summer i will have a greek address and in the winter i will have a monaco address. Could I keep changing my address?

len.c

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Alec,You sound as if you have one of the main attributes required of a Vincent owner (OPTIMISM) the other helpfull requirement is your own Royal Mint (,The place where they print money).Definately join the VOC, the information available and the people you talk with is truly amazing Good luck.Len.c

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Join VOC.
There seem to me to be two markets: collectors who imagine that all Vincents were like peas in a pod and were "standard Vincents". Such people are not interested in whether or not it would be a money-pit if ridden, because they don't plan to ride them. They're interested in whether or not it has what they believe are "the correct parts". This amuses me, because MY Shadow left the factory with a "non-standard" black-painted front wheel, and "non-standard" black-enamelled STEEL mudguards. My! Who would have thought that THE FACTORY would produce a non-standard Vincent? Apart from those who know they did when the need arose. No shortage of Rapides around with Shadow clocks fitted because the factory were temporarily short of "standard" 3" clocks...
And there are people who want to ride them, who are aware that the odd paint-chip or non-standard item won't leave them stranded by the roadside, but a crank on its last legs, or a timing chest built by a moron, will. And who know that if the bike has been in regular use, it is less likely to be on the point of collapse. And who are interested in sorted bikes that can be taken beyond walking distance of the house. The second lot are mostly (but not exclusively) in VOC. And if you are that sort of guy, and if I were selling MY Shadow (which I'm not) then I might favour your offer over one from one of the w*nkers aforementioned. Joining VOC tilts the odds in your favour...it's a well trodden road.
(This post may have simplified matters in the interests of heightening the dramatic aspects of finding a Shadow (or whatever) and buying it. And not then discovering that you've bought a money pit.)
Note that I have not mentioned JMR anywhere in this posting.

AlecRogers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
thank you all for your advice, what i am going to do is join the club in july ( so i can get the most out of my membership )and by that time i will hopefully be
financially closer to owning a shadow. The frustrating thing for me is that this new job working and living on a boat has ment that i have had to leave all my bikes back in the uk. i was going to ride my bsa b31 from my parents house in wales to monaco but after realizing via a tom tom that 50mph on my b31 is actually 40mph it was going to take an extra couple of days. so i have decided to treat myself to a faster bike i can ride all over france in the evenings after work, maybe a few trips back home, and spend the weekends looking after it and thought that a rapide but preferrably a black shadow would be ideal for the job.

Albervin

VOC Member
It is better to buy a bike from a VOC member as there is a good chance it will be in reasonable condition. If you buy from a dealer then have someone with you who knows their onions! Several dealers are well known for selling high priced and highly polished loads of rubbish. Most members can tell you who they are. You must have patience and perseverance to become and remain a Vincent owner.

deejay499

VOC Member
Alec. I know that you want the most out of joining the VOC, but be aware that membership runs from Jan to Dec, though if you join in July there is usually some sort of discount. DJ