H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Hydraulic Steering Damper

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Norman, the difference between your set up and mine and Vincents, is the offset body pivot. This will cause some rotation of the damper body wrt to the forks but much less than Vics does. To get rid of this rotation you would need to increase the reaward set on the actuating arm which in turn causes a clash with the front exhaust cap. I know because I tried that.
Vic's set up is different it causes max rotation of the damper body with respect to the forks and whilst there would be no clash with the exhaust cap, there will be with the girdraulic spring boxes.
I dont understand this talk about one set up being more complicared to make than another. Whatever you choose, you have to make two components, a link to drive the damper and an anchor. Mine had to be simple because I used a drill, hacksaw and files. With access to machining service, one can get as fancy as you like. The fact remains that from a geometric viewpoint, pivoting the damper body on its centreline is the most efficient way to translate the rotation of the forks into the linear motion of the damper.

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks Mac. I have just been out to t'shed and had a look at the hybrid design I set up to work on standard steering heads. This is a hybrid between Vic's design and my design to work with the JE steering heads. I have just turned the forks lock to lock and although it is true that the forks turn a lot more than the damper body it is also true that the spring box top mounts or the spring box tops are no where near hitting the damper. I can set it up to take pictures but that will take a while.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Mac. I have just been out to t'shed and had a look at the hybrid design I set up to work on standard steering heads. This is a hybrid between Vic's design and my design to work with the JE steering heads. I have just turned the forks lock to lock and although it is true that the forks turn a lot more than the damper body it is also true that the spring box top mounts or the spring box tops are no where near hitting the damper. I can set it up to take pictures but that will take a while.
They wont be, but Vics design will be. You dont need to take pics, I believe you