Huxhams of Parkstone, Dorset

A

alan wright

Bonjour from la belle France. Too cold to ride and too warm in the house to go out to the garage so a plea for help. I am the proud owner of a '47 B Rapide which I bought in 2004 when my mate and I bought 6 twins, a couple of Comets and loads of spares in the "barn find" of a lifetime. He kept a 49 White Shadow replica and I kept the 47 B which, I am reliably informed, turned out to be the first Vincent HRD to be sent to Dorset after the war. It was signed off by H Mainwaring at the factory on 27-5-47 and despatched to Huxhams Ltd, 149-155 Ashley Road, Parkstone, Dorset and registered by E P Huxham on 10-6-47 with the registration number GRU 721. I have painstakingly rebuilt it with all the right bits for a 47 Rapide including 3 1/2 in dynamo, Miller round brake light switch, short arm carbs (both rears), varicose vein timing cover ,tool box with 2 handles etc,etc BUT to finish the job I need a Huxhams of Parkstone machine badge. I have never seen one and can only assume that they existed as it was common practice for dealers to attach one to every sales bike in those far-off days. All help will be very much appreciated. Best regards and Bon Annee, Alan Wright

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting and useful. Years ago I had a twin with a brass plate on the front mudguard, saying 'Supplied by Jack Surtees etc etc' Perhaps I ought to see if I can find it in all my junk as it sounds like these guys could do with one to copy as I have either missed it on their list or it is not there.

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Something like this Norman?

Attachments

• P1010033.jpg
    P1010033.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 75
A

alan wright

Many thanks chaps, I spoke to Val the decal man this morning, what a nice bloke. He would love a borrow of the Jack Surtees plaque to copy and I am sending him a couple of additions for him to copy BUT in a weak moment I told him that I would try to send him one from the French Vincent importer Clement Garreau so if anyone can help with that it would be great. While we are on a roll has anyone out there got plaque ( if it exists) from CIMIC SRL of Buenos Aires for my 48 Argentinian Rapide B? This guy is a pleasure to deal with and I have just posted my cheque so once again many thanks, best regards Alan.