Hot starting

Ian Watson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks to each of you ! This is great. I keep the bike in the Blue Mountains so when I see her next week I'm going with Albervin's advice and simply try some throttle/ no choke. Btw, I think the plugs are NGK BR8ES, but I'll check. I've always had this prob, BigEd, since four years ago. If no go, then it's a BT-H, which I'll ask someone experienced (more nouse ) to fit for me.
Onwards and upwards and thanks again, Ian

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Unless you've got a really high compression motor BR8ES is too cold and the plugs won't get enough heat in them to self-clean. Also the "R" means resistor which doesn't make the job of the magneto any easier. If you can find an old "Made in Japan" B6ES or B7ES try them for size at the recommended gap.A local owner has just had a magneto overhauled by Peter Scott and is very impressed. Starts first kick cold with people watching! Another good plug is KLG FE75 and you can sometimes find them at swap meets.

notap

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian, I have some B6ES and champion N5's. Drop around and we can play with the plugs to eliminate that as a possible cause as suggested by chankly bore. We can then mess about with carb setting if that fails.... Eliminate one thing at a time. Besides, two kicking legs are better than one! Give me a call when you are about and we can make a time. Cheers ... Rob

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Try Iradium Plugs.
Fitting a BTH mag is easier than the original Lucas as you lock the mag spindle with a peg and there is no ATD.

greg burt

Non-VOC Member
75% of Fuel problems is Electrical
Get the Mag checked with Tim Thearl or Greg Brillius if he is still doing them
Fit some decent plugs gapped at 20 thou / I like a protruded platinum plug
Timed at 34 - 35 degrees
It will start 1st or 2nd kick every time
Greg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Also check your atd. My bike has been getting harder to start. Ignition was set at 35 degrees fully advanced. I then checked the full retarded figure which is more relevant when starting. It was 3 degrees AFTER tdc. The atd was worn and so had too much movement. I believe atds for vins were originally 17 degrees making 34 at the crank. Have purchased a new atd but not fitted it yet. Too cold in the garage.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello vin998, Was thinking the same for mine,But I have RITA so no way of telling ?? Cheers Bill A few years ago it used to leap!! into life befor the pedal got to the bottom, Gone back to 2 6v coils and is better but not as good as befor, Roll On The Spring !!

vibrac

VOC Member
Sitting on the throne reading 'another 10 years on' (or 40 years back) I saw a bit about fitting a manual mag end cover and lever WITH an ATD.
the ATD was set as normal but the manual was set up as an overide to retard the ignition point a little more for starting
sounds like something worth trying when I get to my dotage (If I am not there already)