Holy slag inclusion Batman!! It pays to tinker.....

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Re-building my "C" shadow continues to throw up challenges and surprises, here`s the latest:

Having reamed out the worn hole in my F55 balance beam, made a nice new oversize F56 pivot,stove enamelled and fitted it,I was well chuffed-no slop at all.
My attention was drawn however, to a slight misalignment to the cable on the offside. Seemed to me a judicious "Tweak" of F55 in the vice was called for, and on doing so, I was surprised at how easily it shifted when I applied a little pressure to re-align it.
It soon became clear why. I noticed a crack appear in my nice new stove enamel. Hmmm, closer inspection , and a touch of probing and "OOOH-ER"- the thing snapped in half to reveal about half of the metal was comprised of what looks like a casting fault- a roughly spherical, rusty inclusion in one half , and a corresponding cavity in the other.

Good Job I went to tweak it I suppose, better than finding it out coming down Hard Knott Pass!!!!. Sleep tight, Bob Cottam.

Attachments

• balance beam 001.jpg
    balance beam 001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 68
  • balance beam 002.jpg
    balance beam 002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 72
  • balance beam 003.jpg
    balance beam 003.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 77

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Re-building my "C" shadow continues to throw up challenges and surprises, here`s the latest:

Having reamed out the worn hole in my F55 balance beam, made a nice new oversize F56 pivot,stove enamelled and fitted it,I was well chuffed-no slop at all.
My attention was drawn however, to a slight misalignment to the cable on the offside. Seemed to me a judicious "Tweak" of F55 in the vice was called for, and on doing so, I was surprised at how easily it shifted when I applied a little pressure to re-align it.
It soon became clear why. I noticed a crack appear in my nice new stove enamel. Hmmm, closer inspection , and a touch of probing and "OOOH-ER"- the thing snapped in half to reveal about half of the metal was comprised of what looks like a casting fault- a roughly spherical, rusty inclusion in one half , and a corresponding cavity in the other.

Good Job I went to tweak it I suppose, better than finding it out coming down Hard Knott Pass!!!!. Sleep tight, Bob Cottam.

I figure you have a warranty claim there - on the basis of goods of un-merchantable quality.

cinquecento

Non-VOC Member
it is an inclusion and not H/L crack that has corroded? guess from the desciption it must be casting fault.
Out of interest this work would have been outsourced to foundry?
As you say, a bit of a pain but not as painful had it occurred on the road.

nkt267

VOC Member
It's a shame to find that just as you need to fit it,and after the work you put into it..
BUT better to find out now.Imagine you disgust at the quality of Vincent parts when you need to grab a big handfull of front brake and......Ping...OH S--T ...BANG.John

Last edited: