Where Are You Now? HJH110

G

Graham Smith

The following was sent into the forum website by a fellow enthusiast…

HRD-Vincent-Motocycle-1930-HJH1101-745x558.jpg

Index number HJH110 – Believed to have been used by the Constabulary into the 1940s.

Here is the history of the bike as presented in the Vincent Owners Club magazine MPH 288 January 1975. According to the Traffic Dept. of the Hertfordshire Constabulary as follows. Two Machines were ordered for trial purposes and one of these HJH 110, was retained, the other being returned to Messrs. Vincent at Stevenage. The machine registered HJH 110 was ridden by three officers. In the first place by Sergeant T.A. Winser, second by Constable T. Laurie, and finally by Constable A.E. White. The machine remained in standard form apart from cylinder heads which were changed by Messrs. Vincent for improved performance. This motorcycle was disposed of by us in 1952. The bike was ordered by the force October 10 1946 completed and tested Nov. 18th and despatched by the factory Nov. 19.

Unfortunately the history of this motorcycle has not survived and as far as I am aware this is the only photograph contained in the Hertfordshire Police Historical Society archive.

One of two 1946 Vincent Series B Rapides tested by that Police dept. One was returned and this one Eng # F10AB/1/14 was purchased Nov 1946 and used till 1951 when sold off.

This motorcycle was first registered in 1946 and would have been manufactured by Vincent Motorcycles in Stevenage. The company ran from 1928 until it went bankrupt in 1959.

The officer on the motorcycle I believe was named Tom Lawrie and he served at Ware with my father who was a War Reserve until 1948. Tom apparently was the only officer who dared ride the 1000cc beast. I was about seven and remember Tom as a very quiet well spoken man and with a soft Scottish accent as far as my memory serves me. I also think this picture was taken in the yard of the old Ware Police Station (now Powell’s the undertakers) in Watton Road, Ware.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
HJH 110 has survived and is now in USA.

HJH 110 as far as I can tell was the only bike ordered directly by Hertfordshire Constabulary and there is no record of a 2nd bike in the Vincent factroy records. The only possibility is that a demo / press bike was briefly loaned out by the Vincent factory and this is assumed to be the 2nd bike.

Simon

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wonder if the current owner will now replace the “standard“ passenger footrest rubbers with the type shown in the photo?

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I wonder if the current owner will now replace the “standard“ passenger footrest rubbers with the type shown in the photo?
Looks to me that the front footrests are also the round type.

Other early details are present, like the lack of water excluders, but note that this one has the added rear mudguard stay. Was that fitted before initial delivery or retro fitted later?

davidd

VOC Member
This bike has been shown in a number of recent photos (in the last decade) in MPH and on the forum. It has changed a bit over the years with the addition of water excluders and a different speedo. It has the new foot rubbers, but it is a lovely runner and remains as original as any bike that is "in use" and well-loved by its current owner.

David

flashvin

Active Forum User
VOC Member
No Barrbell pattern rubbers. #14 currently shows a crusty old worn pair of std foot peg rubbers. New John Bull Barbell pattern shown in the pic are to hand just not deployed on the machine. Norman Curnow owned #14 in the mid 70's and when he heard from John Marshall machine registrar at the annual rally that the machine had originally been a police bike he wrote to the Hertfordshire police and recieved quite an enthusiastic response which he wrote up an article published in MPH 288 Jan 1975. The police sent him 2 5X7 photo's showing an officer on the machine from both sides. According to Norman prior to his ownership it was last used on the road by a Mr. L. Ryall. Being In touch with Norman recently he recalls purchasing the machine from a "pig farmer" who also had purchased the Vincent 3 wheeler. This would have been sometime in the late 60's early 70's. Norman was quite active in Vincents and rode them hard and for great distances moving onto to Ducati bevel drives and then becoming a passionate trans atlantic sailor and racer with his own boat. By the 1980's i#14 had found its way to Conway Motors under Chas Guys ownership. It then passed to Hugh Hall in the USA. Then it traveled east to its current garage. It is the current owners all time favorite Vincent to ride. A quick one as well. Still in std. tune with orig carbs .