Headlight relay install and Carb??

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm not sure what your relay setup is, but have you got a headlamp earth back to the battery. You could lose 5 of your 6 volts (slight exageration) through a greasy steering head bearing.

H
H,

I ran a separate ground from the headlight to the neg lug on the battery a while ago...to help with grounding issues...That said the relay set up runs both pos and grd directly to the battery and switches from high beam to normal via the toggle..

Thanks for the caution...

Ciao,
Eric

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
Mine's a series D which I've just finished rebuilding. I built the wiring harness with a separate earth from the head light to the frame earth. Got an H4 halogen bulb from Paul Goff and an adapter for it to fit the reflector from him, a 6V changeover relay from www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk and a standard H4 wiring plug from a car shop. Wired the power to the relay from terminal 2 on the switch on the headlight and from there to the high and low beam on the headlight and connected the dip switch high and low wires to the signal side of the relay. This way the ammeter registers the current draw and the dip switch sees a very low current. The lights are very bright.
Looking at the series C wiring diag, I think you could use the same set up, taking power from terminal 8 if the switch is as the one in Vincent Motor Cycles. The relay is only about 1" cube so is easily contained in the headlight shell.
Regards Mac

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hi,
Mine's a series D which I've just finished rebuilding. I built the wiring harness with a separate earth from the head light to the frame earth. Got an H4 halogen bulb from Paul Goff and an adapter for it to fit the reflector from him, a 6V changeover relay from www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk and a standard H4 wiring plug from a car shop. Wired the power to the relay from terminal 2 on the switch on the headlight and from there to the high and low beam on the headlight and connected the dip switch high and low wires to the signal side of the relay. This way the ammeter registers the current draw and the dip switch sees a very low current. The lights are very bright.
Looking at the series C wiring diag, I think you could use the same set up, taking power from terminal 8 if the switch is as the one in Vincent Motor Cycles. The relay is only about 1" cube so is easily contained in the headlight shell.
Regards Mac

Thanks Mark,

The relay draw its power and ground directly from the battery and a second relay handles the conections from the toggle...So I am compleatly off the stock harness. That said if I wanted to is there a simple way to wire in the ammeter to new wire set..

Thanks,
Eric

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Mark,

The relay draw its power and ground directly from the battery and a second relay handles the conections from the toggle...So I am compleatly off the stock harness. That said if I wanted to is there a simple way to wire in the ammeter to new wire set..

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is break the positive wire and connect the ends to the ammeter terminals. Try it with just the lights on, if it shows a charge swap the terminals.

H

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hi Eric. I'm pretty sure all you need to do is break the positive wire and connect the ends to the ammeter terminals. Try it with just the lights on, if it shows a charge swap the terminals.

H

Will do Howard much thanks for the clear head and the assist..

Cheers,
Eric