E: Engine Hard starting.......due to cam timing.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not an Egli Fan, But I found this in my Photos,
Looks like it has been grafted on to a standard end bit ?,
looks a lot of Kicker :) .

Attachments

• 0a495442-5268-4315-8115-aeec00a494ab.jpg
    0a495442-5268-4315-8115-aeec00a494ab.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 01-1965-norvin-1000.jpg
    01-1965-norvin-1000.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 37

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Watch out for alternative kickers. The vin quadrant has much less travel then "conventional" ones. I went to all sorts of troubles to fit a cb 750 lever on my norvin. It looked the buisiness, like the one in Bill's pictures, folded up lovely . The mechanism ran out of movement about halfway down just when it was getting ready for the "big swing". Reverted to a bent and twisted original one. It's the only part of my bike I am embarrased about. I hate it with a vengeance.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
To be honest, My Bodge was bad even to me, Had it chromed etc,
But needs must, I always used the valve lifter, To spin the motor and let go of the valve lifter,
I lost a lot of swing , But it worked for years, Even with 12 to one pistons !,
Till I let a friend race it at Curborough,
He was a strong big bloke and started his bikes the old way, And it snapped.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Greg if your problem is just Footrest gear lever,
Maybe this, Not my idea , Just another photo.
Looks good to me, But mine was a twin exhaust problem.

Attachments

• Folding%20rearset.jpg
    Folding%20rearset.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 47

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Roy, yes thanks for the input.......and for the pics Bill.......cheers........Yes it seems that because the engine in the Egli sits much higher than a stock Vincent the lever travel gets eaten up a bit moreso........this egli is no different........I'm going to drop the lever lower down on the spline and bend the lever so the top of the lever is further out to give the right shin a bit more room, i think any alternative is going to be just as much of a compromise.....Just saw your last post Bill.....thats a great idea.......issue i've got is the back of the kick lever where the FT 99 spring is digs into the front of your leg with your foot on the footrest........so either need to move the kicker lever away or move the rearset.......i think because this bike was set up originally as a racer, the kicker lever was not a consideration........An elec start would be great but I feel the Grosset set up might struggle with this big engine........All good fun.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As I know too well, Once you change one thing, You give yourself many other problems,
But good when you come up with a good fix.

Somebody laughed at my Battery on the ex L/ning last year,
Said it looked like it was falling off !,
Twin front Cylinder Heads and a McDougleator !,
Needs must .

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I recut the spline on a Honda 750 Kickstart for use on the Rapide engine when I had it in the Glenli rolling chassis.
I rode the bike that way for a year or so before assembling the 1360 motor.
It worked fine for the 8 to 1 998 cc engine.

When I fitted it to the 1360 and tried for the first start, the Kickstarter went down but the engine didn't turn over. The spline held but the Honda Kickstart lever bent like warm spaghetti.
In fairness to Honda, the Kickstart was designed to roll 190cc pistons thru low compression, not 680cc 11 to ones.
It's amazing that it worked OK on the 998.
But then standard Vin twins are pretty easy to roll over with the compression release and heavy crank for momentum.

Glen

Normski

Non-VOC Member
This is work in progress so not very tidy. The kickstart spindle is one from Ernst D in Germany and is splined for a Honda CB750 kickstart. I’ve reshaped one of these and welded to another so it now looks like Harry Lauder’s walking stick. I’ve fitted it low on the splines which gives the dual benefits of my knee being partially open at the start of the kick and the kick coming to a natural end before the quadrant hits the bump stop spring and casing hard ( following good advice from David Dunfey ) Gear lever and peg fold up in the manner of the one shown by Bill in post #15.
I’m hoping the Honda kickstart will not bend like Glens did.
08AF0447-CB38-41A4-9A27-5271190E24D8.jpeg

greg brillus

VOC Member
I was actually very surprised with all the hard work Glen put into building that bike, that you didn't make it electric start.......I took this one for a run the other day.....went very well for a 1200 but the brakes were outstanding.........TZ Yamaha 260mm up front and smaller TZ single leader on the rear.......I recon you could put yourself over the bars with 2 fingers no trouble at all.........very impressive.