Hacked off

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi what is this facebook people keep speaking about, is it a book of faces ? 84yr old buffer
Hi Gordon,
It is a form of social media or social networking. It is internet based, as is this forum. Unlike this forum which is centered around our appreciation for Vincent motorcycles it is not centered around anything in particular. Individuals or organizations will create what is referred to as a page. On this "page" individuals who have access will post their thoughts, notices, opinions of what have you, etc... There is very little if any moderation of these pages, which unfortunately leads to a grief for some people as they write things in haste without giving consideration to what they are writing, which in turns leads to very public arguments of private matters or displays of very bad manners. Much like having a discussion with someone through the personal advertisements of daily newspaper or putting up note cards on a public notice board. Everyone who has access to the page can chime in on the subject. Including people you may never have met in person.
It also allows you to search out people you might know currently or have known in the past and connecting or reconnecting with them. Such as my ex-brother in law, who looked for former girl friends from school. He was very successful in reconnecting them, hence why he is my ex-brother in law. The VOC has a presence on Facebook, put I do not participate in it.
I am sure the majority of people who do participate in Facebook do so with little too no drama or grief. My wife has an account and has access to several community based pages as well as a contact with family that lives quite a distance from us. But based on what I have seen or heard from within my rather small circle of friends, I think it is in my best interest to not get involved. The only social media I participate is this forum, two forums centered around my cars, and LinkedIn which is basically a job search website.
Steven

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I spend a bit of time on FB but restrict my access to basically groups with the same interests, all being related to motorcycles I own or have an interest in.