Misc: Everything Else H.T. Coils

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Gary, We had that sort of thing on Cars years ago, But they often got took off after a while, Never used one myself.
I don't have a cowl on my Special. Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
When I used to go to shows a lot there was always someone demonstrating drilling through files with miracle drills, usually using a pillar drill, another guy with a miracle oil additive that you could not break down the surface of with tools spinning in a lathe, and another chap selling these ignition spark enhancer devices, might have been called Splitfire or something like that, it certainly changed the way the spark looked visually as he used to switch between normal and Splitfired, whether there was any benefit I have no idea, is it even possible to get more out than what you put in?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When I had my '77 BMW converted to dual plugs in 1982, the kit came with a now-discontinued Accel booster box. The purpose was to decrease the current through the points that the second set of plugs would cause. It is still working fine, but I was concerned about a replacement and found the same unit as Gary. I don't see it advertised as a miracle device, just something that extends points life. I see there are distributors all over the world: http://www.dynaonline.com/distributors/dynatek-international-distributors.aspx

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Just had a search around google, apparently the spark enhancer product is Spitfire, apparently turns one spark into five sparks, they also market these sacrificial metal pellets that you put in your fuel tank that convert rubbish fuel into a leaded equivalent high octane fuel, only problem is the metal pellets never need replacing and presumedly weigh as much after 10 years as when you put them in your tank, and yet Derrick the hairy biker that frequents my local on a Triumph TR6 recons that they do work, he never gets valve seat recession and the engine runs far better since he started using them, don't ask!

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Bruce is right here. The Dyna booster is no miracle device. Its main purpose is to extend point life. The other benefits I mentioned are probably marginal in effect but the main one is real. It cuts the current through the points to something negligible. It's the current that cause the arc between the points each time they open or close. It's that arc that causes them to pit and need replacement early.

One more thing. If the booster burns out, it just takes a few minutes to switch the wires around and let the points work the old way.
I hope I don't sound like I'm promoting something in which I have no financial interest. I just think it's one way to improve a battery-coil ignition system. I have a friend with two Rapides who is very happy with his Harley-based Pazon ignition setup. His bikes run very well indeed. Since mine is a D and came with battery-coil-distributor ignition, I used that as a starting point, first having the distributor rebuilt, then "stoning" the point cam to get proper timing on both cylinders and finally the booster. It works well. It's not the only solution.

Gary

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
A couple more spark enhancers: Nology and Directhits. I used both in automotive and motorcycle applications. The Nology was plug wire with a capacitor in the middle and ground strap, I coupled it with a MSD7A amplifer and a Pertronix triggering device for the distributor. I swear I could arc weld with this combo. If I pulled a plug and attached it to a wire I would get at least three separate sparks that would arc three inches when I started and ran the engine. This was probably about 15 years ago otherwise I would have done a video. I still use a Directhits (capacitor plug screw on) on the sparkplugs on a 289 Ford with 4 48IDA Webers. It idles smooth at 1000 and the rev limiter is set at 7800. The plugs don't foul anymore after installing even with in town driving and idling. I did use a Nology wires on a RGS with a Lucas magneto, Beru silverstone plugs and it did seem to run better too. Not trying tell anyone to buy anything but adding a few more items to see.

Still there's nothing like a well jetted/needled engine as they really don't need all the extras to still run well!

vibrac

VOC Member
Arnt some of these gizmos like the suit button in the HT lead dodge? Giving the spark a big gap to jump before the plug improves the spark but knackers the generator ( mag or coil)

Mr. Boring

VOC Member
I'm sure they must tax the coil or magneto, though I didn't have any failures when using. Coils can be cheap if after market, but magnetos are a different story. They don't look very proper to a restored machine either. :)