Misc: Electric Starters Grosset starter not working

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi
I've just redone some rewiring and mudguard repairs on my Rapide C but now there's nothing from the Grosset starter.
Initially, after replacing the starter relay rubber holder, I left one of the starter cables off. Thought that was it but still nothing.
The only changes I've made are:
Taking off this extra blue cable as per this post:
Removing the horn and taping up the wires. Maybe this was making the circuit.
There isn't even a click but will check the starter button on the handlebar.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Alyson

VOC Member
check the handle bar button for continuity. Make sure the engine can kick over, maybe something is binding and preventing the starter
from turning the engine over. If everything is freed up, keep looking. You might have to take the starter motor off and bench check it.
Battery good ?

eharris

VOC Member
Can you hear the relay click, when you press the button?

As Alyson suggests, check the power to the button, then from the button to the relay and then from the relay to the starter motor.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Can you hear the relay click, when you press the button?

As Alyson suggests, check the power to the button, then from the button to the relay and then from the relay to the starter motor.
No relay click.
Will check the cables. I have the Grosset installation manual.
Only a single wire from the starter button to the relay, so I guess the switch must make contact through the handlebar.

eharris

VOC Member
No relay click.
Only a single wire from the starter button to the relay, so I guess the switch must make contact through the handlebar.
Ah, like the horn button?

It could be the earth connection through to the handlebars. Does the horn still work ok? Try running a temporary cable from the earth point on the rear left of the UFM to the clamp of the starter button.

The original wire from the relay to the button will have 12V on it until you press the button when it should drop to zero.

erik

VOC Member
I think the battery is not good at 12,6 Volt depending which type of battery you have . A fully charged lead battery is 12,8 Volt. A fully charged Lithium battery is about 13,5 Volt. Erik

Chris Launders

VOC Member
For an earth connection I have drilled and tapped a headlamp mounting bolt 5mm on the inside and use this to run all the front end earths to, with a single wire back to the UFM.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
No relay click.
There should be an ignition switched live to the relay input which is then earthed to complete the circuit through the bars.
You say there is only one small wire too the relay there should be two.
good luck!