ET: Engine (Twin) Grosset Electric Starter Installation

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My conversion to electric start threw up exactly the same problem, I visited Francois Grosset to have my electric start kit fitted, and as you say, the bush, the new G50 plate, and the original crankcase casting did not line up perfectly, I guess back in 1949 there were manufacturing inaccuracies, anyway the solution that Francois took was to locally reduce the bush with a file or belt sander until it fitted both receiving holes (sort off) All I can say is that on the occasional times that I have needed to use the kickstart since the electric start was fitted, it has functioned as it should. How did I ever manage without it!

Phil Mahood

VOC Hon. Computer Officer
VOC Member
I agree with Craig. Just trim the hole in the Grosset plate so the bushing can enter. No, the bushing does not capture the plate. You have engine studs and tapered screws for that. In fact, if you are not using the kickstarter at all, you would not need the bushing. I will add that I had to turn off some material from the top of the bush so that it was flush with the plate. There is so little room that you have to do everything for all the parts to fit. As you go, make sure the kickstart quadrant goes through its full path with the K/S cover on, G86 spacer, and shifter in place. It must not foul anything. Then make sure the shifter works and clears everything in all 4 gears. You will probably have to make a new G86 spacer or add shims so that the quadrand has no end play. The quadrant cannot be allowed to travel laterally and then foul something or fail to engage the modified G46 gear. Good luck!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I guess someone with no lathe can use his favorite file. I am getting closer to ordering a kit since kickstarting without using the centerstand has gotten pretty difficult.

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
Thank you all.
I trimmed the hole in the Grosset plate. I thought about it for a while..
Adjusting the other holes to suit did not look right to me, and it would move the 'problem' to the small bearing G41.
Yes I will watch the height of the rim of the bush and I already took away a bit to clear the valve lifter.
It also needed a bit more room between Grosset plate and crankcase just below that point. see pics.
Engine (Wyatt) is completely apart, I am just going round in search for hiccups.

more grosset fun  (1).jpg
more grosset fun  (2).jpg
more grosset fun  (3).jpg

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
Again a question.. maybe I know the answer but just to make sure ...
What is the function of this pillar? It is not mentioned in the Grosset directions I have.
(this is a repro part and I already made the cut-out for the starter gearbox)
Is it a strenghtening thingy for the clutch lever pressure on the cover?
It has to make way for the sprag clutch + more material from the inside of this cover, so....
If this pillar is a extra support for the clutch arm, plus taking away even more material from the inside weakens the cover? Or dont I need to worry as all is over dimensioned anyway ?
inside the cover.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
That pillar is there to stop the G 51 seal plate from coming loose where it fits into the shallow recess in the G 50 plate, along with the G49 more toward the top. Just for interest sake.......

van Ginneke

Non-VOC Member
I think -correct me if I am wrong- that the opening in the Grosset G50 plate is much smaller.
This pillar is really in the way of the sprag clutch.
As I dont have a standard G50 plate I took a look at drawing MO3, and I can see a much larger opening with the recess as you describe. I bought the parts over a period of years and years ago....now I (think) remember being told that I dont need the G51 plate as it's also not among the bits I have. Nice puzzle !

stu spalding

VOC Member
Quite right about the Grosset G50 plate. Scrap the pillar. Study the instructions most carefully, or better still, rope in someone who has already fitted a kit. Cheers, Stu.