Greg Brillus Racer

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Greg, Just a few bits, I have found a 1/4 1/4 roller better than a ball, Sometimes more than one !, Because you have jacked up the back, The chain is going to get tighter, Untill the frame is level. I am not keen on two start pumps, But it is too late now, As the revs go up it pressures the tank and oil spurts out all over your face !! Good Luck, Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
How would a lucas SR2 compare to a joe hunt? I assume the hunt mag has 50 years extra development with modern rare earth magnets etc, I have used SR2's on parrellel twins ok. A better mag than a K2F.
Chris.

Some may not realize that there is another U.S. made magneto that is based on the Fairbanks Morse design that uses rare earth magnets and has retarded timing for starting: Morris Magnetos. Scott Dell and I went to the Oley meet a few weeks ago and Dave Shaw, the owner of Morris Mags, was there. After a lengthy discussion he is a die hard magneto guy that is trying to be competitive with electronic ignitions:

http://www.morrismagneto.com/

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Looking at that info the price of a mag to suit a pre unit Triumph ( similar to a mag for a Vincent ) they are about $200 dearer than the equivalent from Joe Hunt. I think mine cost around $800 USD roughly plus postage. Thanks for the info Tim and Bill...yes I can see your points re the breathers. I think at the end of the day, the oil tank needs to breathe and do so very well, given the oil pump is returning much more return volume than what is drawn from it. I feel for a racer that the hole in the cap is way too small. Ordinarily I am not a fan of blocking off the tank breather/come chain oiler, as I feel this allows the tank to vent correctly.....however, sometimes at the expense of drowning the chain in oil. I understand what you are saying Bill re the twin start pump, and Reg had the same problem, only he made up a small deflection baffle that was held in place under the chain oiler adjusting screw, and directed the return oil down away from the cap. I found on my road Rapide, that had the chain oiler blanked off, that at anything like 80 MPH or over, that it would start squirting oil all over the tank top. Perhaps the fix is to use a deflector similar to Reg's, or the one Davidd used which looks a bit like a carby slide hanging from the tank cap split pin.....this acts like a shroud around the return port. I think also to have a small fitting attached to the oil cap with a piece of clear tube running upward and back to the breather tank of around a quarter bore size. Whichever way, I think the tank needs to vent very well. I looked at the pictures of your racing Egli Tim.....an impressive bike, and a credit to you and Ben....to me the HP figures quoted seem to be a bit on the light side....Reg told me his 1250 engine put out between 90 and 100 HP at the back wheel...! Time to get back to the shed.......Greg.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
With dynos you can get wildly varying numbers from one to the next. Some dyno operators set things up for an automatic add on of 12 or even 15% for drivetrain losses. Or they can leave it at zero and record true RWHP. Customers tend to prefer the dyno that gives the highest number!
Dynojets are known for producing very optimistic and popular numbers.

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
Glen is right, quoted numbers are only good for club nights, always use the same dyno-rolling road and just be happy the numbers get larger. As Joe Craig said they only count the winners at the finish.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there folks, sorry for the delay in any updates. I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth or anything, just very busy sorting out loads of things. The bike is back in bits again after I spent a fair bit of time making up brackets and fittings for various items, and they are now at the paint shop. Made up the two chain guards as required, the fuel tank is painted and just needs its pinstripes and decals applied. So next Monday I will be assembling it back together.....the cylinder heads are finished, and I have made up the oversize valves using stainless big block chevy valves. The stems are longer and the step has been raised further up the stem by 80 thou....I can always reduce these figures if need be. I am using new rockers which have the bore holes slightly higher than standard, so it is easier to do the ET100/1 mod. New long type rocker bushes and pins. Many items...drain plugs, caps etc., lock wired now.....New Avon AM 26 race compound tires installed on both rims, lots of little parts made at the machine shop to finish many items off. I will post some updated photos as soon as it looks like a bike again.....last major thing to make up is the exhaust.....all under control, cheers for now............Greg. Ps, the supplementary regulations are now out for the Australian titles at Lakeside.......getting pretty exciting now.

davidd

VOC Member
Lots of progress!

Photo 45
P6160285.jpg

Photo 46
P6160286.jpg

Photo 47
P6160287.jpg

Photo 48
P6160284.jpg

Photo 50
P6160290.jpg

Photo 51
P6160293.jpg

Photo 52
P6160294.jpg

Photo 53
P6160295.jpg

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Commando wheel on the front?

What is the function of that strap bolted to the outside of the "concentrics"?