Lubrication Grease Fittings

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the new MPH, the A grease fittings are discussed. Are they similar to these?

@A_HRD

A_HRD

VOC Member
Morning Bruce,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I'm trying to get some consensus on what the original one(s) looked like and, of course, the thread form - most likely 1/4 BSF - or even 2BA? The good news is, I already potentially have someone lined-up to CNC them from scratch - should they turn-out to be "unavailable" items. (Of course, we might need to face-up to the fact that the factory may have simply fitted what they could get on any particular day....).

The situation is more complex than might be thought because I believe different types were used in different places. E.g. smaller ones on the pivot points of the bum-seat frame than those in the steering head and the RFM pivot tube for instance. There's also one on the top of the gearbox...

Peter B

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Remember that the lower fitting has US pipe threads, not BSP.

If you thought it would do any good, I could ask that shop where they get them and either enquire about fittings suitable for an A or pass the contact info on.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I don't want hijack this thread but some of you will know that I am getting some girdraulic lower links made and the Spares Company will be taking thirty of them. I have asked what type of grease nipples would be preferred as the lower links which have been supplied by the SC have had holes for three, one below each rear eye to lubricate the Oilite bushes where the eccentrics fit and one one below the front cross tube to allow lubrication of the FF6s. It seems that the preference is for the old style grease nipples which have a 1/4"BSF thread. Personally, I prefer the modern style of grease nipple where the end of the nipple is spherical and modern grease guns can latch onto them.. Those grease nipples tend to have M6 threads. For the lower links for my own use, which will be fitted to the JE steering stems, they do not have grease nipples for the rear eyes as sealed for life ball races are used, two each side, so only one grease nipple on the front cross tube is required and even then one chap does not even want that as he will used spindles drill through to connect to grease nipples on the end of the spindles. As things stand the ones for the SC will have three 1/4"BSF holes to take old fashioned style grease nipples, Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Why not put holes in and let purchasers fit their own. Many Vanvouver Section bikes are using a Dan Smith modification thst uses push in micro nipples in the spindle ends. The spindles are drilled and cross drilled to place grease where needed. A chain saw bar nose greaser is used.
fall 2012 128.JPG

timetraveller

VOC Member
Thanks. The reason for the question is really whether to to tap the holes1/4"BSF or M6. I agree it is much tidier to put the nipples in the ends of the spindles but some people want it to look original, even if the later grease nipples are better.