FF: Forks Girdraulic machining specs for Lightning/Grey Flash

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone supply the drawing for the machined Lightning/Grey Flash fork blades?
A photo would be best if available.
Not sure if there was wide groove machining on top section, but here is a sketch of my recollection.
Simply an historical request
Craig
GiirdraulicBladeLightning2.jpg

GreyFlashForks1.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Some things, I don't like the thought of !,
Never wanted to do it to my L/ning rep',
I thought the L/ning had some on the lower bit , But not as much as the flash ?.

John Reynolds

VOC Member
As part of my 'Analysis of Vincent Front Suspension Systems' (see MPH November and December 2021), I established that the total front unsprung weight of a standard Series C Vincent is 58.35lb. The weight of the pair of Girdraulic fork blades is 8.25lb so, assuming that 1lb of alloy is milled out of each blade (which is generous/ dangerous/ stupid?), the front unsprung weight would be reduced by 3.4%. Is it worth attacking the blades for such a marginal weight saving?

By way of comparison, substituting an alloy rim for the steel one would save 3lb, removing the headlamp about 2.5lb, shortening the mudguard and removing the front stay (as per Lightning spec.) about 1lb and removing the speedo about 1lb. I have not weighed a 5" speedo but to mill the fork legs and then to fit a Shadow speedometer would be madness.

Interestingly, although the total front unsprung weight of a Brampton equipped Series B is 4lb less than that of the Girdraulic equipped Series C, the saving mainly comes from the absence of springboxes, hydraulic damper and by only having a single spring. In fact, the Brampton Girder weighs more than a pair of Girdraulic blades but, when the weight of the two front spindles plus the unsprung weight of the links is included, the unsprung weight of the two forks is very similar.

vibrac

VOC Member
John
I have a sneeking suspicion that the saving of weight by milling fork blades is not top of the agenda, nowadays its more of a passing rivet counter saying after a feely, feely, "Oh and the blades are milled!"
I am on a weight saving exercise at the moment however its a dual pronged attack:
1. the twin racer we hope to have a few more lbs off this season (but we wont be milling fork blades)
2. My road Comet's weight reduction continues, (best so far was my Lithium battery) Next, as I said a few days ago is the RH rear brake drum and gubbins this of course is in line with my hope that I can continue to ride and manoeuvre it out of the garage it into the 2030's, (I did wonder what a good target weight for a fully road worthy Comet was) but I don't see that machining fork blades on that list either.