G: Gearbox (Twin) Gearbox Sprocket

TritonMike

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Series B Rapide project seems to have a problem. When I tighten the G23 nut it locks the sprocket G21/21. When I took it all off I found that the boss on G21 is only 7.3 mm whereas the distance from the bearing to the outer casing is 8.3 mm. I removed the seal and there is no evidence the bearing is not fully home.
I would welcome advice on how to sort this.
Mike

Alyson

VOC Member
Hi Mike, there is a .030" or .031", I can't remember, shim that goes behind the door. Did you get that in before putting the door back on ?

greg brillus

VOC Member
If the boss on the new sprocket has less distance verses the original sprocket, it could bind on the crank case.....The C 19 shim washers for the clutch main shaft nut will fit over the output shaft and space the sprocket outward to give running clearance. However......If the new sprocket was a tight fit on the output shaft requiring a bit of assistance with a hammer and alloy drift or similar, it is very much possible the output shaft bearing has shifted inboard and this will cause the sprocket to sit more to the left than it should......A simple plate and using the sprocket nut to act as a puller should pull the bearing back to the right if that is the case.......The G 3 input shaft mentioned earlier should have about 20 thou end float with the mainshaft nut undone.......more is not necessary and less will restrict the ability for gearbox oil to enter and lube the output shaft bushes. This should all be done with the G2 cover in place with some attaching screws to check this end float,...... remove the cover one last time to apply some sealant and all the screws tightened fully home.

TritonMike

VOC Member
Thanks for all advice. We have today rebuilt the gearbox internals but still the boss on G21/21 is too short to allow it to butt up against the Output Shaft Bearing (G14?). It is definitely fully home.
Thus any tightening of G23 results in a lock up of the sprocket against the casing.
Have ordered a range of C19 shim washers as suggested by Greg to allow gearbox sprocket to lock up to bearing and spin freely.