Gearbox shift adjustments 47 Rapide

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Mind you at the end of the day, most gearshifting problems particularly when changing down through the gears is clutch related. Once the clutch frees off properly, the gearshift is almost always cured. I'm not saying that that is the issue here.....but....

vibrac

VOC Member
Ben was supprised that I used the clutch for upward changes when on the track with the 5 speed on the racing Egli he obviously never found the need to when in a hurry, Me (brought up on Burmans) need to make a real consious effort even on a modern bike -even then I wince...

craig

VOC Member
I received all the new parts. Replaced G68, G49 (After filing/enlarging the upper slot in the new G49 piece), G57, and G66/2AS. The new G59AS did not fit the old G40. After these pieces replaced I was able to adjust G49 and get a good second to first downshift....on the work bench, per adjust instructions. I will see how actual riding performs in a week or so. New pieces are noticeably tighter fitting. I was able to get new shift pieces for a 1947 Vincent in two days! What a treat! Coventry Spares 1-800-451-5113

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know you will hate me for saying this, But G 34 must be tight in the cases, It's under the dynamo, If it's left loose and ridden rough it can make a split in the cases, I have seen a few of these, My L/ning was like it when I bought it in bits, Hope what you have done fixes it, Cheers Bill.

craig

VOC Member
Yes , thanks , I was aware of this and installed some penetrating Loctite. I will look again ...but this Rapide has suffered poor downshifts since the start...I changed out the early linkage shift for straight lever to resolve....seemed better for a while, but not sure changing shift levers actually did anything.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Craig, As you know all Vin's are not the same !, Some thing you could try, G61/1 is a Mod', The early ones had no ears, It might work better if you bent the ears back, It might work better on your bike, Just a thought, Cheers Bill.

orwollma

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
IMG_0770.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg

Bill's right about the G34 needing to be tight in the cases. During my refurbishment of my '50 Rapide last year, I discovered that the G34 was unscrewed by several turns. After tightening it back into proper position, I fitted a 3/8" BSP 19tpi pipe plug as a "jam screw" and filed the height down to just clear under the dynamo. I'm sure others have probably come up with a similar solution in the past.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I just use some medium strength 243 blue Loctite on all the ones I assemble......stops it coming undone and not too tight so you can remove later if need be......Greg.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
g 34 IS tapped3/16 BSF, I screwed an allen bolt into it and safety wired it to the front dynamo stud. Just like Furness + Searl did when they "did" the motor for my rap.

rapcom

VOC Member
I hate to correct such a knowledgeable mechanic as Roy, but my experience (backed up by the literature such as Know Thy Beast) is that the G34 is tapped 3/16" BSW. Perhaps both exist, so perhaps you should check carefully before winding in a screw.
I also use an Allen screw in that threaded hole to wirelock the G34.