G: Gearbox (Twin) Gearbox Dip Stick

moto8500

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is the prevailing thinking in regards to how far up the gear oil should be on the dip stick?

Richardson refers to a reading to the underside of the dipstick flat so am I given to understand that is a reading at the very bottom of the dip stick?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Tricky one !,
Would you trust that all the sticks are right,
Best way is drain the gearbox and fill with I think 2 English pints ?,
Then see where it is on YOUR stick,
Trouble with that is Greg thinks it should be less ??.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I always check the amount i'm using in each box.........minimum one liter, but generally around 1.1 to 1.2 liters as per normal.........some geerboxes tend to leak more than others......no mainshaft seal between the shafts does not help.

moto8500

VOC Member
The box took 1.1 litres to take up 1/16th inch on the dip stick. The lack of a mainshaft seal can be a problem with overfilled boxes.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Ha Ha Greg, Just Googled 1.1 and 1.2 Litres to UK to pints !,
2 Pints is in the middle, Super.

I would just say , It's worth checking often !,
I check all my levels almost every time I go out,
They have been know to go down ,
Gearbox leak into chain case etc,
And you don't want lack of oil in the gearbox !, Trust me, I have been there.
Also wipe the stick and check a few times,
Oil can hang on that flat and give you a wrong reading,
Some of us use thicker oil , I use 80 / 90 gear oil.

Last edited:

Colin

VOC Member
I'm sure this has come up before Don't trust the mark on the stick unless you have actually measured the amount of oil in the box.
My box always seemed to be leaking when the level was at the notch on the stick. So I drained the box to find nearly 2 litres in it. I refilled the box with 2 pints and found the existing notch on the stick was above the oil. I made a new mark on the stick which was lower and correct for 2 pints.
Remember the dipstick is a piece of spoke screwed into the "handle", so it may have been replaced with the wrong length/mark at sometime