Gaskets

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ideally you would want the sharp edge to be created by taking metal out of the inner circumference, probably a contradiction of terms but I guess you will know what I mean by that, rather than the outer circumference, that could be why near the edge of the gasket it can split as you are in effect wedging the hole in the gasket material wider as you push the hole punch through, as I read that it sort of makes sense to me, just about.

Albervin

VOC Member
1.Put some Prussian Blue on the metal face after you have made sure it is flat. A very thin smear is all you need. Then gently clamp or tape
gasket material and then trim with a scalpel. I have about 8 different shape blades and ALL will slice to the bone with no effort. They leave X-Actos for dead.
Then remove clamp/tape and punch holes or, if you have a blade with long and pointy end, cut holes. 2. lightly coat gasket material with Loctite gasket maker and apply; leave for
a few hours and trim with scalpel. I certainly wouldn't even use my childhood hammer on those tiny carbs if they are anything like what is on my 100cc engine.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Ossie, my Dad also showed be the same method and I use it myself, but with a delicate carb I probably would not use it.

The trick is to tap hard enough to almost cut through the gasket material, or just a tad more, but if you tap a little too hard you may bruise the corners of the casting.
Simply use a rubber hammer, to avoid that problem.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
When using the "tapping" method (on iron parts of cource), I prefer a hammer of this type

Attachments

• p-1726-5341.jpg
    p-1726-5341.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 36

rogerphilip

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all

I recently bought a Vincent rotavator from eBay, which Josh and I have managed to get running, although we haven't used it to churn the garden up yet!

Unfortunately, the carburettor leaks fuel all over the place, because the previous owner at one time or another had made a gasket out of what looks like a cornflakes packet, and this has now failed.

We have some sheets of proper gasket material, and wondered if anyone had any hints and tips on cutting intricate shapes and punching holes etc.

I was thinking of using a scalpel?

Any suggestions?

To cut out small holes - for studs/setscrews - I grip the business end of a ball pein hammer and twist/rotate the ball into the gasket. This works quite well for thin gasket material and without damaging the metal.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I find an ink pad (think rubber stamp) just the job. Put the object on the pad and the outline will be transferred to the jointing paper. Attack the centre parts with hole punches scissors etc. For a nice outside finish a sharp file will give a factory finish.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Any saddlery shop will supply a leather punch with a rotating head, giving 6 different hole sizes. Ideal for gaskets for small stuff like carbs and can be used to nibble larger holes. Cheers, Stu.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
About the punch tongue mentioned by stu, a good quality one is fine but most are crap. A set of hole punches are even better but not to damage them, use a wood piece under. Always on the end, so the punch cuts same direction as the tree fibres goes.