Misc: Everything Else G66/ electric mod

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When doing an electric start it is necessary to reduce the width of G66 to clear the sprag clutch
I know I have seen a drawing of the mod and have been involved in a few starters but I cannot find that drawing on my PC's old and new (I have 3 sets of FG instructions & sketches) he may have dropped the sketch from the set recently and I had one from an early one
its not in the standard set the FG sends out which is odd as some of the arrangement sketches show the thinning
If anyone has that specific drawing can I have a copy please
I could reconstruct what I have to do but the G66 and my machine shop is here and the bike is far away

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Bruce that's about it. Yet I know I have seen a drawing hey ho if I cant get a drawing I shall have to make a journey on Monday with a marker pen :(

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks David thats what I have and there is the cutaway shown
1567117659428.png

And I know I have seen the detail drawing of the area to be removed but its not on that issue
NB: FG is on Holiday at the moment

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tim, I have a full set of instructions from 2004 at VOSC but can't see what you are after.
I have a set of instructions that were supplied maybe 4-5 years ago. It does not mention thining down the G66 as mentioned in the pdf instructions that David posted. The general arrangement drawing does show what looks like a modified G66 as shown in post #5.
I don't remember having to thin down my G66 when I installed my starter. (My memory is fallible so don't take that as gospel and no, I am not planning to take the cover off in the near future to check!;))
The electric start is a great mod.:cool:

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
My instructions from 1999 do not have the diagram you are looking for, but does tell you to grind the G66AS centralising peg and the inner face to clear the sprag clutch, clearance of .008" is required.
Cheers Bill

greg brillus

VOC Member
I've fitted several and needed to grind the lever on all of them. I just carry out a partial assembly and grind away as required, as no two are the same exactly. That applies to the other parts as well..........

vibrac

VOC Member
Ah well its out with the marker pen and over to the bike I know it needs to be done it doesnt change properly with cover on and OK with it off....