G39AS Repair/replacement

Brian Thompson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have finally received the shifter side of things for the transmission. I have found a crack in the G39AS drive tang. There isn't a sleeve in the box of parts (for support). Is the newly made part better than the original? I did hear otherwise.
Being it's the first thing in and last thing out I don't really need the experience in stripping it apart again any time soon. I kinda answered my own question didn't I ?
Well I guess I want to know, would you reinforce it with a sleeve and split pin as I have read on here or simply buy a new part?I If so, is it advisable to replace both of those pinions as a matched set? I did see where the newer part has a hole in it for a guide pin for the G40 to fit into. Is this another good idea?
Thanks again
brt650 :)

1660bob

VOC Member
Hi BRT, Yes I think you answered your own question.I have just put the cases together and mine is the later non sleeved type of G39,its OK, so its in, hopefully I`ll never see it again!.I would not risk yours with a crack, sleeve or not, if the piece gets loose and drops into the gears........
The later type are stronger,no sleeve/split pin to come adrift, and the pin on the end of G40 locates in the hole in G39 to do the same job as the old sleeve did.I`d definately go for new, safety and peace of mind.I don`t think there is any need to replace the pinion in the camplate if its good,there should be minimal backlash and all should be OK, Bob.

Brian Thompson

Non-VOC Member
Thank you for your reply Bob,
I'll get get the new parts ordered. I have to remove the the pinion from the cam plate to fit it into the new 5 speed cam plate.
Thank you again for your help.
Cheers
Brian