Fuel Tap

Marvel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The knurled disc on one of my taps escaped recently. I made a replacement out of an old threepenny bit. I only had a 1937 one but that’s close enough.

Attachments

• 1790F59D-880C-47C6-BE54-C8AA5EC89C32.jpeg
    1790F59D-880C-47C6-BE54-C8AA5EC89C32.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 58

A Nut

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Andy, the tap in your photo is an Enots make slide type tap. I am 99 percent certain that the type that was fitted to all "A"s was the Ewarts pull on tap with a cylindrical cork. Unfortunately even after fitting new corks or better still a replacement plunger they still tend to leak because years of pulling them on and pushing them off tends to wear the body. You can buy copies but try and get one with the brass filter soldered on because it is a difficult, delicate operation to solder them on afterwards. I personally prefer the Enots type as shown in your photo as you can stamp out thicker than standard corks. I have done this on my Comet and they don't leak but it takes all the strength in my thumb to slide it on! The only exception to this type of tap is the taper type cock which was fitted to the TT Reps. (Mine has this type anyway which I believe is original - But who knows!)
Brian Werrett (joint Series A organizer with Peter Barker)