Friction Band

Stanley Chappell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It doesn't get easy I need two friction band assemblies part number F94 can anyone point me in the right direction.
Has anyone tried to fit modern dampers inside the spring boxes any suggestions greatfully received Stanley?
Chappell.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Reynolds

VOC Member
When I got my A back in 1970 I wrote to Bob Stafford and he replied with a four page, hand written letter giving me advice and encouragement. One of the things he mentioned was that he had fitted a Tiger Cub damper unit inside one of the spring boxes to provide better damping. I have no further details but, yes, it has been tried before!

A_HRD

VOC Member
The Spares Company lists them as in stock.
TT - I think you'll find that is just the nut and bolt that the Spares Co have in stock - not the friction band itself. The U Section ones are hard to find or manufacture, the plain flat band ones are less so. It is my understanding that both were used at varying times of Series A manufacture. See 'Back to A' - Page 66.
Peter B

A_HRD

VOC Member
John,
Yes indeed it has been tried and used before - in the late Bob Stafford's own racer - "The Torrey Canyon". The final variant was to use a koni damper and a Tiger-Cub (or Bantam) spring which fitts neatly over the Koni and snugly inside the spring-box. See 'Back to A' - Page 66.
Peter B

A_HRD

VOC Member
To any Forum Moderator who knows how to move threads:
This thread needs moving from the "Pre-A" Category into the 'Series A' Category please.
Thanks in anticipation. NOW DONE! PB
Peter B

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry about that Peter. I checked on line for F94 and it is listed as in stock together with F96. My lack of knowledge of Series As is showing up.

Alyson

VOC Member
Contact Sommer Hooker as he might still have something.... aftermarket shocks at the top of the seat stays that mount to the seat. Good luck, they are rare