RIP Frank Griffin

Prince Duster

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A very kind, and very sophisticated man - lucky enough to spend time with him and Doke in The Hague and ride around Germany with them both, along with the old man, and share beers with Delboy, Colin Manning, Len Matthews and others on here. Two recollections of Frank Griffin; first, he was pissing around putting up a camping chair for Doke to the assembled amusement at a German Rally in the 80s. His response: 'If my wife rides a Moto Guzzi, enjoys the same holidays I do, and puts up with you f****ing lot - I'm more than happy to put up a chair'. Second, I once said to Frank: 'You're the 2-wheeled Len Deighton.' He said, 'Don't be bloody silly'. But I think I was right. He even looked like Deighton. You could talk to Frank about anything - from philosophy to petrol mixes. Great loss. Condolences to his family. David L

G

Graham Smith

Sally and I have really fond memories of Frank when our kids were younger at our local Hever Rally. Frank used to let Josh help cook the eggs, whilst Matthew was busy helping Andy with the bacon, and not to be outdone, Abi was helping @delboy with the beans.

I sent Frank an e-mail just last week, but didn't get a reply, so messaged his son Bruce, and found out he was poorly.

Tomorrow, we're going to raise a glass to absent friends at our South London meeting.

RIP Frank.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 22.24.04.png

Lenni

VOC Member
Frank was a good friend for all of us from the german section. He joined a lot of german rallies mostly accompanied by Doke. Doke and he spend hollidays together with some of us. Our condolences to Bruce & the family. We lost a wonderful friend.
Lenni

RonandLinda

VOC Membership Secretary
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Frank was a good friend for all of us from the german section. He joined a lot of german rallies mostly accompanied by Doke. Doke and he spend hollidays together with some of us. Our condolences to Bruce & the family. We lost a wonderful friend.
Lenni
Yes Lenni, Frank was fluent in several languages, he acted as guide and translator at a tour of a German castle switching from one language to another to keep all the group informed. Such a clever and generous club enthusiast.
A wonderful friend, Honorary member of our club and a huge loss to us all. R.I.P mate.

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
So sad, farewell to the legend 'Grank Friffin' as he was known to some. To echo Ron&Linda's remark, I remember being at a Summer German in a conversation between a German, a Frenchman, a Dutchman, an Englishman (me) and think another nationality (aps as I cannot remember which), nobody was comfortable speaking anybody else's language, Frank casually stood there on the fly translating each of the comments to each of the participants, this went on for around 20 minutes. At the end I spoke to 'Grank' about this as I was in awe of his language talent, he commented that at least he didn't have to also use his Russian or Ancient Greek, he knew others as well I believe!!
He brushed it all off as, "I just seem to be able to pick up languages", so why not do it. I was stunned, remarking that me being a Brummie, I struggle with English!

teunvandriel

VOC Member
On Friday 24 March, we said goodbye to our good friend and VOC Honorary Member Frank Griffin in a private ceremony at the funeral home "De Laatste Eer" in the city of Delft. Frank was allowed to live to be 82 years old. The last years were not easy for him because of physical limitations but especially because of the loss of his beloved Doke who passed away a few years ago.
R.I.P.

1679736625771.jpeg

1679736701426.jpeg
1679736763544.jpeg

1679736808077.jpeg