Frame Numbers

cinquecento

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'd rather forgotten about this as I bought the bike 'cheap' and matching numbers was never an issue. When I joined the VOC i just left the rear frame # entry blank as the bike was stored and hard to get to.

Having looked for it recently a stamped number isn't obvious.

If this was a crash repair and replacement rear frame obtained from works would this have been supplied 'blank'.
Will there be a number, possibly not matching, but likely obscured by paint. Or, if there is no number has some previous owner been 'creative' for what ever end purpose.

At this time I don't really want to start scraping off frame paint just to see if there is a number.

highbury731

VOC Member
I have just recently been number-hunting. The UFM number is vertical, a lttlle to the left of centre-line near the top of the steering head. The RFM number is on the left 'chainstay', to use cycling terminology, slightly above the centre-line as viewed from the side, just immediately ahead of the wheel lug.

I suggest trying a rubbing, using some very fine paper, or rub some white chalk over the area, and take a photo. If your bike has been repainted, this method probably won't work. I neglected to do this, so I've had to scrape fresh new paint off. It don't make me happy!

davidd

VOC Member
A small torch held at various angle will probably show a number even if it is painted over. I have had several RFM's with no numbers. David Bland, who ran the Service Dept. at the Factory said that numbers were not stamped into replacement cases or frames as a matter of policy.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Numbers, numbers, unless it's for sale! A good bike is still a "goodun" even if, like mine it has all odd numbers. My u fm + r f m are 1900 apart, does that win a prize? I suspect not, but i find it humerous.

davidd

VOC Member
I certainly agree with Roy that there is no functional advantage in matching numbers. My racer is non-matching. In fact, the 1900 differential may apply to the majority of Vincents, but there may be thousands of Vincents to which it does not apply. Even when the 1900 rule was the common practice, there were bikes delivered from the Factory that did not conform. As a rider, I might say it is amusing that the popular culture surrounding Vincents has demanded such rigid conformity to rules that may not have existed, but if I were the Machine Registrar or Researcher it would drive me crazy.

David

nkt267

VOC Member
When I got my first Comet all we worried about was that the Registration number matched the Log book.
MOT's only had the Reg Number on them,we didn't care so long as the bike went well..
My Comet(NKT267) has the UFM of the Reg number,the RFM of an unknown, and the engine out of my mates bike.His engine threw the bigend out the back of the crankcase,my engine went into his as the engine of NKT267 was sold of in my original Comet.
The original RFM for my first Comet is sitting on a shelf in my garage as a spare..John

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Some people only had one number plate !! But more than one bike, In the good old days, Befor the E.U. Cheers Bill.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Bought a cash of 13 Vincent's 3 twin engines, 3 were rolling chassis , from Argentina, for 27,000 US. Took all apart restored all, I used the best parts on the first and used that approach thru the lot. All turned out to be good dependable riders in the tradition what the two Phil's strived to design and produce. Don't have a clue a to how the numbers turned out. They left my shop years ago.