Foot Pumps

Colin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone recommend a make of foot pump that is not made out of case hardened cheese! ie one that will last longer than a year or so before it disintegrates?..All the ones I have seen for sale (and bought) have flimsy foot pedals that bend after a few months. but worst of all are the pivots, a length of monkey metal peened over at the end to retain them.
The only redeeming feature of these cheap and nasty items is that they are (fairly) cheap to buy.
Hand pumps (ie like stirrup pumps) look a bit more sturdy, but are they?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I have one similar to Graham supposedly made by Bell, the same folks who make helmets, and it works just fine. Are you looking for one to travel with you or strictly for the garage?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
If your budget runs to it perhaps a small pan cake air compressor would be a good idea.
If you're not interested in running air tools or painting and only want it for pumping up tires on bikes, cars, and the like. They don't take up much room, aren't terribly loud, and are so much better than those that plug into the car power outlet. Just a thought.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Don't bother with anything made in the last 20 years, it's all nasty rubbish. Look for a Dunlop type, brass barrel, cast aluminium frame and built to last. I bought mine new about 30 odd years ago and it's needed no attention in that time and is still going strong. Not sure if they are still made now, and I think it was made by a different company and badged Dunlop, maybe Kismet? I'll try to find an image and post it up for reference. Oh yes, they also did a double barrel version for BIG tyres, or rapid inflation of smaller tyres!

Colin

VOC Member
Don't bother with anything made in the last 20 years, it's all nasty rubbish. Look for a Dunlop type, brass barrel, cast aluminium frame and built to last. I bought mine new about 30 odd years ago and it's needed no attention in that time and is still going strong. Not sure if they are still made now, and I think it was made by a different company and badged Dunlop, maybe Kismet? I'll try to find an image and post it up for reference. Oh yes, they also did a double barrel version for BIG tyres, or rapid inflation of smaller tyres!
If only one could be found!