E: Engine Flywheel Fit

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Metal spraying can work on exterior surfaces. I used to do it in an engine overhaul shop. I can't see it on interior (in a hole) jobs. Spark eroding can still be a life saver. Crank pins are available in several oversizes. I have one in stock at 1,250".

powella

Non-VOC Member
Hi Roy
Best reply yet - thanks . What is the Crank Pin large diameter please. ?
Is your pin a Alpha or a Vincent ? since they have different inner diameters for the cage.

Thanks Alan.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
The bore of the flywheel looks to be in poor condition with lots of pitting and potential distortion. Given this connection is relying on friction, you should consider resizing this bore to the correct surface finish and making an oversize pin.
It might be more cost effective to buy a new crank assembly from Terry Prince?
I understand that Terry is no longer supplying ANY items, has sold off all he could and retired.

powella

Non-VOC Member
Finally - the problem - the solution - the final product.

Thanks to all for your helpful / none helpful replies - they did raise a chuckle !!!

Attachments

• IMG_2031.JPG
    IMG_2031.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 156

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks John, It's the alignment after I was wondering about,
I have been told of a chap , Bored one wheel then the other = Miles out !!.
That's why I plan to weld the two together.
Cheers Bill.

Although I think I have read the Factory did the wheels separately ?.

powella

Non-VOC Member
Hi Bill
No did not weld since this would mean another 8 operations.
Used a "Slip fit " of pin to inner dia. of sleeve , wheel bored to 1.248 +0 ,0005 , outside diameter of sleeve 1.250 -0.0005.
The shoulder of the sleeve was not used as there were good side plates to use.
Criteria for fitting was 2 tons of pressure minimum ,and to push the pin and sleeve into the wheel at the same time .If less than 2 tons the whole lot could be pushed out and a " different " sleeve made.
Fitting pressure was 4 tons constant finishing with a 6 ton final push.
The whole plot is now tightened on the crankpin nuts to around 100 ft pounds the nuts slackened off and the shafts trued up in the time honoured way of belting them with a Lead Hammer !!!
After checking ( 0.0005 and 0.001 readings ) the nuts are given a final tighten to 150 ft pounds which puts the assembly IN COMPRESSION with the side plates free to " float " in a permanent flow of oil.
Must now go and wash the wine glasses.
Regards Alan.