G: Gearbox (Twin) Floppy Kickstarter

Mike T

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi guys, do you know if it is possible to replace this worn kickstarter spring G87/1 through the inspection cap and without having to remove the gearbox outer cover? Thanks to Eric (Ducdude) for pointing this out and for any advice!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Hi Mike
Done it a few times, even once on the early B one which is much tighter for space. Use a piece of wire around the top loop to hold onto it. Lower it in and use a long ish thin screwdriver to push it on the bottom pin, then pull it up near the top pin and again user the screwdriver to push it in over the top pin. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries.

Oh ya, fish the old bits out first ---

I assume you have a spring - if not I have several here

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
In M.P.H. 226 is mention of a Honda spring which is cheaper, stronger and possibly easier to obtain. Part no. is or was C.1004251 A.

davidd

VOC Member
I carried an extra spring in the tool kit along with a spring puller. It makes it easy to fiddle with the KS spring.

The best spring puller for a tool kit is the Moose one. It is a piece of wire with some plastic. Very light and easy to stow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Moose-Raci...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It is also useful for grabbing a chain link and dragging it around the CS sprocket.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I found a spring at a hardware store, it’s been in place over 30 years now, no sagging. As for the position of the KS on the splines, I like the lever up close to the footrest hanger, such that the straight portion of the lever is vertical. I guess I’ve been fortunate to have a twin that is easy to start, first with the rebuilt mag, and now with the BT-H, I don’t try to kick the lever through the ground. I don’t bother finding one cylinder or the other, I use the comp release, let it go just after starting the kick.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
In M.P.H. 226 is mention of a Honda spring which is cheaper, stronger and possibly easier to obtain. Part no. is or was C.1004251 A.
I cannot find that spring, but MPH 226 is about 50 years ago so not too surprising, even tried David Silver Spares, I guess it puts it around the Honda CB72-77 era.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The problem with these double posts is sometimes when I try to post the whole thing stalls and gives the appearance of having failed, click again and a minute later it becomes apparent that you have double up on your post, not sure if this is my computer, the internet clogged up or the website, any suggestions?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The Honda spring is a C50 brake pedal return spring. I have found a current part no. which is 46514041000. Apparently according to the original article one end needs slight tweaking, but it is in every way superior to the original part. Being a Comet owner I have no personal experience. It would be interesting if someone tried it and let us all know. Cheers.