Flat Battery Again

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I am using two Francois Grosset systems both firing double ended coils for twin spark set up and run very economically, two days travel (500mile) on one charged 12 amp-hour battery before getting a new Alton fitted, so simple, no condensers just a trigger unit, but do not use one pair of HT leads to one cylinder, as only one plug sparks unless you have coils wound in a different way. I do carry a spare trigger unit as it's only 2.5" diameter and 1.5" long and only take 15 mins to change haven't had one fail since the prototype failed in 2007 and 20k mile since.

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, alternator has the appearance of being a Kubota 2 wire permanent magnet type and is run via Podtronics single phase solid state rectifier /12 v regulator all wired positive earth. Why would you use + earth when you had the opportunity to rewire a machine, was it thought that this gave some sort of anti corrosion benefit?.

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is easy to check whether your battery is working as it should. It's capacity sounds a little low to me. After a run switch everything off and then put a known load onto the battery terminals. This can be done by using a couple of leads to a bulb of, say, six watts if you have time or sixty watt if you are in a rush. At 12 volts a six watt bulb will be taking half an amp and the battery might last, say, 12 hours. With the 60 watt bulb it will be taking five amps and you should get just over an hour before the light goes out. If you are confident that there are circuits in the bikes wiring which can be switched off the you can make sure the. Ignition is off and just use the bikes lights.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Brian have you looked at thevincent.com Under electrics there is all sorts.
I will try and find the wiring page I got with my Mcdouglator,
I have not heard of the podronic thing being used with it ??.

brian gains

VOC Member
Another short run yesterday and battery reading low. Will check the battery with known load and be a little more methodical in fault finding.
Regarding the Podtronic rectifier, in the paperwork supplied were installation details for one so i guess that is what is fitted, no branding on unit.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Another short run yesterday and battery reading low. Will check the battery with known load and be a little more methodical in fault finding.
Regarding the Podtronic rectifier, in the paperwork supplied were installation details for one so i guess that is what is fitted, no branding on unit.
If there is no identification on the rectifier then it has to be something to suspect. It may be casting aspersions but if it turned out to be a Wassell product a friend had three that were faulty before he gave up and got another brand.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you are sure you have a Kubota This is the regulator John supplies,
The big finned thing bolted to the battery tray, With an alloy plate insulator,
Any one got a photo of a podtronics ???.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_112513.jpg
    IMG_20200809_112513.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Brian,

Please recheck your ignition switch wiring. With any solid state voltage regulator it is ESSENTIAL that there is a switch between the active terminal of the battery and the active output from the voltage regulator. If you do NOT have this switch in place then the battery will slowly drain when the bike is not in use.

Also can you confirm what earthing you are using? Is it the Positive or Negative battery terminal connected to the bikes frame? Negative earth is when the negative battery terminal is connected to the frame.

To recap. For NEGATIVE earth there needs to be a switch between the battery positive terminal and the output from the regulator. For a POSITIVE earth the switch must be between the battery negative terminal and the output wire from the regulator.

Next ditch that battery draining automotive 60W headlight and replace it with either a LED or a 35/35W unit, both available from Paul Geoff. Actually, replace all of the globes with LED's - don't forget the rear light. Reason is to make as much 'power' as possible available to both run your power hungry ignition AND keep a charge in the battery. In your bikes past life as a dirt track racer I assume it was never run for any length of time.

FYI I have attached two wire diagrams - one is the official one for a bike fitted with an Alton and a Podtronic regulator. The other hand drawn is how I have wired up my Comet.

Why not draw up a diagram of how your bike wiring is set up then post it - it may help others help you.

Martyn

Attachments

• Alton with Podtronic.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 7
  • ALTON002.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: