First Ride

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Today I had my first ever proper ride on a Rapide. I bought my ‘46 F10/AB/1/3 a while ago but it needed much sorting. I took it to Peter Talabach’s Mohawk Garage where Andy Townsend went over the whole bike, installed a steel idler gear and fettled/bushed/shimmed and replaced everything on the timing side from the cams on down. He also went through the carbs, brakes, front end, rear end and electrical. I had already replaced tire and tubes, installed an V2 clutch and had the magneto rebuilt.

I picked it up yesterday. Not only are the Berkshires in western MA beautiful, but Peter and Andy are so gracious and knowledgable. I feel truly privileged to be able to visit them and have them work on the bikes. Time in their shop is the perfect restorative.

I took the bike to the office today and rolled it through all the gears around town. It is unlike any other bike I’ve ridden. It doesn’t feel old, just strong, mechanical and true. I can’t describe it other than that but everyone here knows. I thought this would be a show and tell bike but clearly I can ride it every day. One person did compliment me on a nice Harley…

Attachments

• IMG_5921.jpeg
    IMG_5921.jpeg
    911.2 KB · Views: 71

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Congratulations, sure glad to hear you're experiencing the Vincent feel. Sounds like you have a well-
fettled machine that will give you miles of pleasure. Keep the steering damper 'just biting' and if you're
going to retain those stock brakes, check out your life insurance policy because you're battling against
every other vehicle on the road and they all have discs. If you want to experience an even better ride
and handling unhook that seat from the RFM and you'll experience a world of difference.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Lovely to see a bike soundly put together and restored to useable condition. Ride it as much as you can, mate. As my old maths teacher used to say "You're a long time in the box." Incidentally, there is nothing better than a well sorted standard clutch, but I can appreciate you'd rather spend the time put in to it riding the bike. Cheers.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Back in the '60's, I rode up to a gas station in way upstate New York on my Norton Atlas; a very rural area. No one was at the pumps but some people were inside. I heard someone yell out "Hey, there's a guy on a motorcycle waiting for gas." Then a reply "That's not a motorcycle, it's a Honda". Back then, there were motorcycles (Harley's) and there were Honda's.

I know, I posted this some time ago but it seemed appropriate here.