Final drive Sprockets

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On My Commando I had a rear sprocket from Aluminium. Nothing special from the Mädler Katalog. This lasts for More than 50000 km with the same Chaos. But it was a mk3 hub with the large shock absorber and a 530 o-ring chain.The chain had been tensioned once in this time. Erik

Robert Watson

VOC Member
This for Carl, and maybe someone else!

Well I do have some of these sprockets on the shelf but only for 520 chain

46T are Cdn$ 160, today US$ 120
47T are Cdn$ 170, today US$ 127.50
48T are Cdn$ 180. today US$ 135

I also still have rings and can remake the G21 gearbox sprocket for twins in 21T and 22T, and 520 or 530 chains, price depending if you have a good hub
Cdn$ 90 with no hub supplied or $70 if a reusable hub supplied. Seal face in reasonable shape (minor grooves can be polished) and running concentric with the bore (I have found a few out considerably = unusable) and splined internal bore not worn out (they are very often OK).

I can also redo sprockets for all the Burman boxes that Vincent used and have done some Norton and AMC ones as well. I have rings in 18 to 22 teeth.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Mechanical failures are never linear, and I would imagine you only have to run a dry or dirty chain for a short period of time to start the process, and from then on the chain and sprockets will wear rapidly, a fully enclosed rear chain running in chain oil, like the excellent Yamaha TR1, gives very long chain and sprocket life, the next best thing when running an exposed chain is a Scottoiler X System, set up properly the chain will never run dry, and that will prolong the chain and sprocket life considerably.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
The reason for this is that this project could not have gone ahead had not the Spares Company been prepared to order thirty and they can provide a normal retail experience to customers whereas I cannot. To put this into financial terms that was a £14,000 project while I recently had a delivery of thirteen JE stems which is a £5,000+ project. This might not be the retail experience which people want but I am not good with admin, am not VAT registered and could not cope with the paperwork if I was. The Spares Company do keep stock of some of my creations so that is the place to go for those who might be in a rush and are prepared to pay the extra cost which has to be incurred when a profit and VAT are charged. Let us see how the new lower links are received.
This is exactly the way things should go

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes one would have hoped so but when I had made the first ten JE steering stems I offered them to the Spares Company to market and was told with great emphasis that they would never stock non standard parts. I have now sold 320 with another 13 ready to be completed and assembled. This has worked to the financial advantage of the customers who have not had the price increased to make a profit or to be charged VAT. It has worked to my disadvantage that a significant amount of my time over the last ten years had been to get these made, pack them and ship them. The new lower links are non standard to the extent that known stress concentration points have been smoothed out and other slight modifications made to hopefully make them stronger. The January MPH will illustrate these changes. They are also designed in such a way that it would be a relatively trivial job to fit needle rollers at the front where normally the FF6 bushes go.

Sorry Norman, it will be the February MPH - ran out of room - Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

timetraveller

VOC Member
In that case, here are a couple of pictures of what the new ones look like. These photographs were taken before the chemical blacking as that will not show up well in a photograph.
1704124811432.png

This shows the thicker flange and the increased radius where it blends into the side arms. For those who wish to consider using a coil over damper for the front suspension this should give some extra confidence. The second picture shows the increase radius on the outside of the front of the link.

Attachments

• 1704125194910.png
    1704125194910.png
    822.4 KB · Views: 17

timetraveller

VOC Member
As an add on I should say that although I have not publicised these yet I had a phone call yesterday from someone who has not even seen this correspondence yet and got another order. That makes seven orders with only five made so it looks as though this might have been worth while. The photographs were taken before the final hand buffing of the links.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I can't remember where I got my rear sprocket (maybe I bought it from you Robert) but it has 20,000 miles on it now and it doesn't have much wear. I am using the 520 O ring chain.