Final drive Sprockets

andrew peters

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So now you guys have me thinking... I run 530 Heavy Duty Chain, obviously I have sprockets to match. My logical thinking is the 530 chain is going to be longer lasting (slightly) as its bigger/stronger... The 520 chain (with 1/4 wide sprockets) may be slightly lighter and 'faster moving' I'd guess on the street the difference could be similar to emptying your bladder before going out for a ride, if you're racing this may be important to you.
An O ring chain is a good idea, they last longer, even cost and weight is not a big issue, however the size, width of a 530 (in my case) can be a problem on our bikes. So a 520 O Ring chain should be a good idea..? But then I have to change both my sprockets to fit the new chain... I have no doubt Roberts' much improved sprockets are a great idea and with Nigels' endorsement I should be getting out my cheque book immediately...
My quandary though is this... will Roberts sprockets and a 520 O ring chain improve my bike and experience? This is like so many questions (of 'improving' our bikes) that we ask ourselves, like oil and tyre choice.. The cost isn't my issue at all, Honestly the cost of a new chain every 10,000, or even 5,000 miles is not that bad.. My sprockets look ok after this years approximately 8,000 miles although my chain suffered greatly from the severe wet weather on the ride back from California in September... I can afford a new chain.. $40 (about 20 quid) is my 'trade' price. If I have to buy a new chain every year that no big deal. I'm always keen to try any modification or improvement but changing to a 520 O ring chain with 2 new sprockets is something I'd like to justify but I can't...

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I fitted an O ring chain I was advised to keep it lubricated to extend the life of the O rings holding in the “sealed for life” chain lubricant.